Frist Art Museum
Gift Shop Associate
Frist Art Museum
Job Summary: The priorities of every member of the retail team are to meet projected sales goals, provide the very best customer service and expand the customer base for the purpose of supporting the mission of the Frist Art Museum. Working as a group, all staff must be multi-task oriented, flexible, even-keeled, and have the ability to interact easily with the Frist’s diverse client base. Each member of the sales staff is an integral part of our operation and, while all members of the gift shop staff will be familiar with all facets of store operation, individual staff members may be assigned specialties in merchandise or other areas of the retail operation.
Essential Job Functions:
- Learn and remain familiar with and sell the oft-changing array of merchandise in the Frist gift shop;
- Work from packing slip and store’s order to receive, mark, and retail all orders; entering all into point-of-sale database; and assist Gift Shop Manager and/or Assistant Manager with additional clerical duties as needed;
- Maintain and organize all visual displays and understock to assure that the shop makes a strong visual presentation;
- Assist Gift Shop Manager, Assistant Manager or other team members in visual displays as requested;
- Promote and sell Frist memberships;
- Serve customers and museum members in a manner that helps ensure an excellent Frist experience;
- Assist Gift Shop Manager and/or Assistant Manager in research to identify exhibition-specific and other appropriate merchandise to carry in the Frist gift shop;
- Assist in preparation of reports as needed;
- Work with volunteers in a positive and constructive manner that demonstrates their value to the shop and the museum;
- Assure ADA compliance and be ready to offer accommodation as needed to visitors in the gift shop;
- Perform other duties as needed or requested by Gift Shop Manager or Assistant Manager.
General Job Functions:
- Familiarity with computer software applications relating to retail operation;
- Create and follow through on sales transactions to assure customer’s complete satisfaction;
- Wrap or bag merchandise for customers for carry-out and/or shipment as requested;
- Maintain the cleanliness and order of the store’s retail and off-the-floor work space;
- Organize, maintain, and restock the shop’s on-the-floor merchandise and understock, all inventory and supporting supplies;
- Assist in opening and closing the store as requested;
- Initiate placement of special orders and follow through to ensure delivery and satisfaction;
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including evenings and weekends as requested;
- Maintain knowledge of Frist exhibitions and weekly activities/programs.
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience: College degree or high school diploma with 3-5 years of retail experience. Museum retail background strongly preferred. Knowledge of fine and visual arts a significant plus. Speaking a foreign language a plus.
Job Conditions: This position requires evening and weekend hours.
Medical, dental, vision, life and disability, long-term care, 401(k), PTO
How to Apply
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Frist Art Museum will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities.
Interested candidates should send their resume, references and salary expectations to:
Frist Art Museum
Nashville, Tennessee 37203-3822
Email: email@example.com or Fax: (615) 744-3339
Attention: Sheri Horn, Human Resources Director
The Frist Art Museum is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Women, minorities, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
- Date Posted: July 9, 2021
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Fundraising / Revenue Development
- Service Area: Arts / Culture
- Working Hours: 40, M-F some evenings & weekends