Plant the Seed
Garden Volunteer Engagement Leader – AmeriCorps Member
Plant the Seed
Are you passionate about hands-on education and food justice? Can you inspire, train and lead others to be change-makers? Plant the Seed (PtS) is looking for a dynamic and team-oriented service member to help develop and deliver our volunteer engagement program.
Half Time, August 15,2022 – July 28, 2023
The ideal Garden Volunteer Engagement Leader will have a passion for food education and justice, be confident communicating with children and adults, and show willingness to get your hands dirty and pitch in with a get-it-done attitude.This role is perfect for someone who has strengths that include leading, problem-solving, and honoring the differences of others.
Applicants should embrace Plant the Seed’s mission to inspire and empower young people to effect meaningful change in their lives through hands-on learning in school and community gardens. They should share the PtS belief that the act of sowing, preparing and sharing food is a powerful tool for connecting children to their food, land, learning and one another. The perfect match for this AmeriCorps role is eager to be a part of a dedicated, fun and food-loving team of education, youth leadership and food justice change-makers. Help us inspire others in the community by engaging parents, one-time, skilled, and corporate volunteers. The impact of a quality volunteer engagement program will build a strong foundation for organizational growth and reverberate for years to come. This is your chance to make a real difference.
This service member will learn about food justice and education, community building, volunteer engagement and organizational resiliency.
Nashville is powered by people of all ages, races, ethnicities, skin tones, sexes, genders, sexualities, religions, abilities, and socioeconomic statuses engaging in service together. This is a city where YOU matter and YOU make a difference. Join us as we tackle the community’s most pressing challenges through service by becoming a Hands On Nashville AmeriCorps Program member.
The HON AmeriCorps Program is made possible through generous support from Volunteer Tennessee, The Dan and Margaret Maddox Fund, and AmeriCorps, the federal agency connecting individuals and organizations through service and volunteering to tackle the nation’s most pressing challenges.
- Reinvigorate Plant the Seed’s volunteer engagement program by developing systems and resources for volunteer recruitment, training, engagement and retention.
- Shape volunteer programming to support seasonal maintenance needs within garden spaces to help create effective learning environments.
- Collaborate with PtS Executive Director, Operations Manager and Garden Education Facilitators at each partner site to develop effective volunteer engagement programs.
- Recruit and communicate with volunteers (parent, individual and corporate) to support program sustainability and growth at each PtS partner site.
- Coordinate and host volunteer training on a regular cadence.
- Coordinate and promote volunteer engagement, including volunteer appreciation and social events.
- Design social media to communicate with volunteers.
Typical Day In This Position
A typical day includes a check-in with your service mentor. You may visit a partner garden to better understand its volunteer needs. Your day will likely involve some computer time, including email, phone or Zoom communication with PtS team members or partner school family engagement specialists, or developing social media promotions for upcoming trainings and events.
Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. – 4 p.m., not to exceed 37.5 hours per week
Members should have experience with or the willingness to develop competencies in these areas:
- Working with individuals from diverse backgrounds and relating to young people, ages 3-11
- Exhibit excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Practice good attendance, punctuality, and enthusiasm for your work
- Show good judgment, professional behavior and be an effective ambassador of PtS’s mission
- Remain open to learning new skills
- An interest or experience in teaching and facilitating
Key abilities include:
- Use Microsoft Office tools like Word and Excel or learn new computer skills quickly
- Ability to think creatively, solve problems and overcome challenges or effectively employ supports to guide your decision-making
- Interpersonal, organizational and conflict resolution skills
- Willingness to roll up your sleeves and get dirty in manual labor activities, including in various types of weather
- Experience or willingness to engage in basic gardening skills and a willingness to teach others
High School Diploma/GED
Can professional experience be substituted for formal education: Yes
Physical Requirements: Lift and carry up to 30-50lbs; Responsibilities in this position may entail standing for extended periods of time; Responsibilities in the position may entail serving in the outdoors and potentially in inclement weather; Responsibilities in the position may entail operating machinery and/or power tools; Service responsibilities require moving about to accomplish tasks or moving from one worksite to another; Service responsibilities require member to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; Service responsibilities require the member to communicate verbally via the telephone and/or computer; Responsibilities in the position may entail sitting for extended periods of time; Office or service environment may include noisy environments.
Required Driver’s License: Yes
- $3,247.50 education award, upon completion of service contract
- Federal student loan forbearance and accrued interest payment
- Bronze-level health coverage through Healthcare.gov
- Training and professional development in nonprofit management
- $10,000 living allowance, paid in bi-weekly increments
How to Apply
Please apply using the link: https://forms.office.com/r/4BZ11DvFuv
- Date Posted: April 7, 2022
- Type: VISTA / AmeriCorps
- Job Function: Programs and Service Delivery
- Service Area: Community Development
- Start Date: 08/15/2022
- Salary Range: 10000
- Working Hours: 15-20