Garden Curriculum Program Evaluation Coordinator – AmeriCorps Member
Hands On Nashville
The Garden Curriculum Program Evaluation Coordinator (Coordinator) participates in a yearlong term (1,700 hours) of AmeriCorps service supporting Plant the Seed’s (PtS) belief that everyone has a right to fresh, affordable, culturally relevant foods and that young people are capable of effecting meaningful change in their diet, their lives, and their communities.
The Coordinator uses teaching/youth development experience, enthusiasm for horticulture, and attention to detail to evaluate, develop and facilitate education programming for PtS’s early learning students. The role will often involve being outside in varying weather conditions to maintain a school garden.
The Coordinator serves as part of a 23-person cohort of civic-minded individuals who receive skills training, professional development, and networking opportunities through a partnership between PtS and the Hands On Nashville (HON) AmeriCorps Program.
- Create tools to measure impact and success of Garden Program curriculum
- Prepare and deliver PtS’s garden-based lessons to Pre-K and Early Learning students
- Maintain outdoor garden at school partner site throughout the year
- Research and align newly developed and existing curriculum to Tennessee’s academic standards
- Manage and develop a new system for the Bringing the Garden Home (BGH) program
- Assist the Program Manager in creating a new, year-round garden maintenance system that includes the summer months
Preferred Knowledge & Skills:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Passionate about sustainability, horticulture, and education
- Experience teaching or in youth development
- This role requires members to bend, stoop, lift and carry up to 50 pounds
- Commitment to fulfill a one-year term of service (August 17, 2020-August 8, 2021)
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Valid driver’s license and reliable access to transportation (Members will be reimbursed for service-related mileage.)
- U.S. Citizenship
- National Service Criminal History Check clearance
HON does not discriminate based on age, gender, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, disability, or other factors which deny the essential humanity of all people.
- Living allowance of $17,000, paid bi-weekly throughout the term of service
- Education award of $6,095, applicable to student loans and/or future education expenses at an accredited institution, upon fulfillment of service obligations
- Healthcare coverage, if elected
- Childcare benefits, if eligible
- Professional development training and ample networking opportunities
How to Apply
Apply online at my.americorps.gov.
For more information, please contact:
Nicki Avila firstname.lastname@example.org
About Plant the Seed:
Plant the Seed is a non-profit that provides experiential environmental education through garden-based lessons to educate and empower under-resourced young people in Nashville, TN.
HON builds capacity for individuals and agencies to meet needs through volunteerism. The HON AmeriCorps Program is made possible through support from the Dan and Margaret Maddox Fund, Volunteer Tennessee, and participating AmeriCorps host organizations.
AmeriCorps is a voluntary public service program where members commit their time to address critical community needs. Learn more about AmeriCorps here.
- Date Posted: May 20, 2020
- Type: VISTA / AmeriCorps
- Job Function: Communications / Marketing / PR
- Service Area: Community Development
- Start Date: 08/17/2020