Foster Coordinator (PT)
If you love animals and you love people who love animals, then you are invited to join Pawster, a growing non-profit working to keep people and pets together through crisis. As the Foster Coordinator, you will have the chance to change the lives of people and animals every day.
The Foster Coordinator oversees foster care in the Crisis Foster Care Program. This includes all steps of managing a pet’s stay with a foster home, from intake to outcome. The Foster Coordinator reports directly to the Executive Director and works alongside the Executive Director to continue improving the Crisis Foster Care program.
*Please note: This position is Hybrid — Work-from-Home and In-the-Field (local travel required)
Pawster’s mission is to end pet homelessness before it begins, by providing Crisis Foster Care for pets when their families experience a temporary crisis.
Honor the dignity of every person and pet.
Pawster believes every person is doing their best. We walk alongside people in their most difficult times. Honoring people’s dignity means doing everything we can to acknowledge their innate power in every situation. We are partners with them in reaching the best outcome possible for their family and their pets. We believe pets are beings of innate worth.
Work toward a more just world.
Pawster’s mission is about justice. No one should have to choose between a family member and caring for their own health, safety, and well-being. Our work is grounded in a vision of the world in which all people and pets have the freedom to live life to its fullest.
Treat pets as vital members of a family.
Companion animals are members of a family. Pawster’s mission is about keeping families together, and companion animals are just as vital to a family as any other member.
Listen to and include all voices in the community.
Everyone deserves a seat at the table. When making decisions, all stakeholders hold a perspective that is invaluable to Pawster fulfilling its mission. Whether that person is a pet parent, a volunteer, a donor, or a staff person, their opinion matters.
Onboard new foster homes
- Schedule and complete the initial Pawster Foster Orientation
- Oversee completion of onboarding paperwork and training
Intake of new pets into the Crisis Foster Care program
- Process new intake requests for temporary foster care
- Match and place pets in foster homes
- Schedule vet and grooming visits
Support foster homes throughout the foster placement
- Check-in weekly with foster homes
- Send weekly updates to pet owners
- Coordinate additional supplies to foster homes
- Coordinate new foster placements and return them to the owner
Additional Tasks (as time allows):
- Recruit new foster homes through in-person events, social media posts, and connections with community organizations.
- Plan and oversee foster retention activities, such as social events, and thank you notes, and foster recognition on email and social media.
- Maintain supply inventory for all pet supplies.
You are perfect for this job if you have:
- Love for people and animals
- Strong customer service skills
- Positive, supportive, and empathetic attitude with people in difficult situations
- Ability to creatively problem-solve
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Email, phone, and internet access
- Comfortable with shifting priorities based on foster and animal needs
- Willingness to learn low-stress, fear-free animal handling and safety precautions
- Ability to learn a variety of new computer programs, including ShelterLuv, Google Sheets, Google Meet, Meta Business, and more
- A driver’s license and reliable transportation
Not required, but please brag if you have:
- Customer service experience in a non-profit or government setting
- Volunteer management experience
- Animal welfare experience
- Mileage reimbursement
- Laptop provided
- On-the-job training
- Flexible schedule
- Flexible work location (remote and in-the-field)
- Opportunities for advancement
How to Apply
- Date Posted: November 18, 2023
- Type: Part-Time
- Job Function: Programs and Service Delivery
- Service Area: Animal Welfare
- Start Date: 12/15/2023
- Salary Range: $20/hour
- Working Hours: 20 - 30 hrs/wk, Flexible hours