Food Security Assistant
Are you ready to join an organization where you can be a relentless champion for older adults living their best lives? To make a real difference in the Greater Nashville area? If the answer is yes, come join our team! FiftyForward has an excellent opportunity for a Food Security Assistant. This is a full-time position with regular weekday hours, Monday – Friday, 8:00 am – 4:30 pm with the availability to work flexible hours as needed.
The Food Security Assistant supports meal provision for FiftyForward Fresh/Meals on Wheels and FiftyForward Adult Day Services customers and the FiftyForward Food Security program through prepping and plating lunch meals, preparing and plating Adult Day Services breakfast and snack, working with volunteers to assist in meal prep, maintaining foodservice data, and assisting with delivery of food and food security program outreach activities.
- Lead the preparation and plating of Adult Day Service (ADS) and FiftyForward Fresh/Meals on Wheels lunchtime meals provided by The Nashville Food Project.
- Lead the preparation and plating of breakfast and afternoon snacks for ADS customers.
- Maintain quality control of fresh foods by keeping perishable foods rotated and shelved for timely use and/or distribution.
- Maintain cleanliness and sanitation of kitchen, prep area, pantry, walk-in cooler, and freezer to ensure proper function and that safety and sanitation regulations are met or exceeded as determined by the Metro Health Department. Report equipment maintenance needs to the supervisor.
- Foster a welcoming and collaborative environment for volunteers in the kitchen. Oversee tasks of volunteers in the kitchen to ensure that suitable meals are available daily and on schedule. Ensure consistency in food safety, sanitation, and cooking practices.
- Meet with Adult Day Services staff and supervisor regularly to plan and discuss food needs.
- Under the supervisor’s direction, maintain records of inventory and other necessary documentation.
- Ensure a sufficient number of grocery bags are packed and ready for delivery to customers.
- Prepare and ensure menus are accurate and posted weekly according to program requirements.
- Assist with FiftyForward Food Security program including assembling food for and attending outreach events.
- Follow a checklist of tasks to be completed daily.
- Follow agency safety and emergency procedures.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Education: High school diploma or GED. Sufficient applicable experience may be substituted for education.
- 1 to 3 years experience in food services preferred.
- 1 to 3 years’ experience with older adults.
- Must be First Aid/CPR and ServSafe-certified or able to obtain certification.
- A valid TN driver’s license including a good motor vehicle record, and appropriate automobile insurance.
- An interest in working directly with older adults to promote and uphold FiftyForward’s mission of supporting, championing, and enhancing life for those 50 and older.
- Effective communication skills.
- Proven ability to be flexible and work cooperatively with internal and external customers including staff, volunteers, members, customers, and providers.
- Demonstrated skills in organization, customer service, and time and task management.
- Ability to work independently and as a team member
- Comprehensive benefits package including health, dental, vision, disability, accident, critical illness, cancer, long-term care, Life, AD&D, FSA
- Paid time off
- 10 Paid holidays plus the week between Christmas and New Year
- Paid birthday off
- Employee assistance program
- Complimentary membership to all Centers
- Community involvement
- Development opportunities
How to Apply
To join our team, please visit our careers website https://fiftyforward.org/employment
FiftyForward is the leading resource for adults 50+ in Middle Tennessee who seek to live longer, more fulfilling lives. We are the premier provider of innovative programs and services for older adults and their families through a powerful leadership team of staff, volunteers, and community partners, and have touched the lives of more than 20,000. Through seven locations and a variety of programs in Davidson and Williamson counties, we provide enrichment opportunities for adults 50 and older to remain engaged and live their lives to the fullest.
FiftyForward is committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of age, disability, national origin, race, color, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, veteran or military status, genetic information or any other status protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
At FiftyForward we see and celebrate the differences in every person. Together, we are creating a responsive community that is open, engaged, and accepting of all.
- Date Posted: October 30, 2023
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Other
- Service Area: Social / Human Services
- Working Hours: 40 hrs/wk; M-F, 8:00am - 4:30pm with the availability to work flexible hours as needed.