National Museum of African American Music
National Museum of African American Music
The Controller will undertake all aspects of financial management, including daily accounting activities, corporate accounting, regulatory and financial reporting, budget, and forecasts preparation, as well as development of internal control policies and procedures. The Controller will “own” the general ledger and will assure that all transactions that impact the GL are timely and accurate.
The Controller position is responsible for the accounting operations of the company, to include the production of periodic financial reports, maintenance of an adequate system of accounting records, and a comprehensive set of controls and budgets designed to mitigate risk, enhance the accuracy of the company’s reported financial results, and ensure that reported results comply with generally accepted accounting principles
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Demonstrates working knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) and good understanding and application of concepts and principles of accounting
- Compile and analyze financial information to prepare entries to accounts, such as general ledger accounts, and document business transactions.
- Analyze financial statements for discrepancies and other issues that should be brought to the Controller’s attention.
- Review and approve all account reconciliations to ensure accuracy and completeness and provide appropriate feedback and input to the team.
- Prepare monthly journal entries such as Cash, Payroll, Benefits, Prepaid, In-kind, Expense Allocations & Revenue.
- Prepare monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements close
- Prepare monthly bank account reconciliations
- Prepare monthly recurring and adjusting journal entries
- Perform monthly budget variance analysis
- Assist with annual financial statements audit and federal, state, and local awards single audit requirements
- Assist with annual budget preparation
- Assists Vice President of Finance as needed, working on special projects as management requests
- Ensures all business transactions are reasonable, appropriate, and comply with company policies & procedures
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance, Master’s degree strongly preferred
- 7+ years of GAAP and general ledger experience gained in a corporate or non-profit environment
- 3+ years of accounting or finance department leadership experience
- Must have advanced knowledge of and proficiency in Excel
- Financial Edge/Blackbaud experience preferred
- Must possess strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong math skills
- Must be able to handle multiple tasks in a fast paced, professional environment
Key Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrates integrity and reliability in performing duties
- Communicates clearly and consistently in performing duties. Demonstrates ability to explain transactions in clear and concise manner. Answers management and staff questions appropriately and professionally.
- Demonstrates ability to identify daily tasks/priorities and adjusts focus to address priorities while completing scheduled tasks
- Demonstrates critical thinking skills and attention to detail
- Demonstrates a team approach by offering to help others with responsibilities and tasks.
- Shares in and displays a commitment to company missions, vision, and goals to deliver a high level of billing and management services to physician partners and their related practices.
- Must be highly organized with exceptional attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to work effectively under pressure, with excellent skills in initiating solutions
- Acts in a self-directed manner; takes responsibility for own actions before being directed by others. Seizes opportunities and is proactive in avoiding potential problems.
All Staff Duties:
- Serves as leader to assure strong communications between NMAAM and all external constituents.
- Actively seeks to learn the history of NMAAM.
- Supports and promotes the museum’s mission.
- Assist in the planning and implementation of special events.
- Attend staff meetings.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
NMAAM offers a comprehensive and competitive benefits and compensation package that includes:
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance Options
- Healthcare Savings Account
- Employer Paid Short-Term Disability Coverage
- Voluntary Supplemental Life and Long-Term Disability
- Employer-Paid Convenient Care Plus Telemedicine Program
- 401(K) with Employer Match
- Employer-Paid Employee Assistance Program (Free Counseling and Work Life Services)
- Eligibility for Public Service Student Loan Forgiveness
- Generous Paid Time Off
- 24/7 On-Site Subsidized Parking
- Hybrid Work Environment
- Amplify Museum Store Discount
- Free or Discounted Entry to Local Venues including The Frist Art Museum, the Country Music Hall of Fame, and more!
- Discounts to Fifth and Broadway Merchants and Restaurants
How to Apply
To apply, visit NMAAM Financial Controller
- Date Posted: April 25, 2022
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Accounting / Financial Management
- Service Area: Arts / Culture
- Salary Range: DOE