The Montana Land Reliance
Finance and Operations Director
The Montana Land Reliance
The Montana Land Reliance (MLR) seeks a full-time Finance and Operations Director to manage the internal functions of MLR and its nonprofit affiliates. Key areas of responsibility include budget development, accounting, investment oversight, personnel and benefits management, legal compliance, financial recordkeeping and internal controls, Board relations, and organizational policies and procedures. The Finance and Operations Director serves on MLR’s Management Team and supervises MLR’s bookkeeper and administrative assistant. The successful candidate will be an innovative leader with strong financial oversight and compliance experience who thrives in a fast-paced, goal-oriented environment. For the full position description, click here.
- Work with Management Team on short and long-term issues affecting MLR.
- Responsible for the general day-to-day operations of MLR with regard to maintenance of organizational records and records of Board meetings, personnel policy management, financial management, and compliance with general procedures and policies.
- Oversee all administrative functions of the Montana Land Reliance Foundation (MLR Foundation) including, but not limited to, maintenance of organizational records and records of Board meetings.
- Work with the Compensation/Evaluation Committee on the annual budget and evaluations.
- Serve on the Board’s Gift Acceptance Committee.
- Supervise Bookkeeper and Administrative Assistant.
- Complete applicable staff evaluations on an annual basis.
- Complete respective portion of MLR’s Conservation Plan, which includes updating this job description and setting goals for the coming year.
- Perform and supervise special projects as assigned by the Managing Directors and Board of Directors.
- Work with investment professionals on investment and management of MLR, the MLR Foundation, and Ruby Habitat Foundations financial assets.
- Act as staff liaison to MLR Board’s Finance Committee and, by contract, to the MLR Foundation Board of Directors.
- Oversee accounting functions of all MLR and MLR Foundation accounts, including the preparation and balancing of the organizations’ annual tax return (Form 990) and annual audit.
- Responsible for the preparation and monitoring of the annual operating budget for MLR and the MLR Foundation.
- Oversee the administration of MLR’s Retirement Fund and 401(k) Plan, including providing required information to staff in regard to elections, limitations, balances, etc.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or related business management field preferred.
- 5-7 years’ operations, finance, and accounting experience in the nonprofit or for-profit sector, ideally including experience with budget development, accounting, investment oversight, personnel and benefits management, legal compliance, financial recordkeeping and internal controls, Board relations, and organizational policies and procedures.
- Passion for and commitment to MLR’s mission.
- Demonstrated experience successfully managing and motivating staff.
- Strong computer skills, including Microsoft Office suite and QuickBooks.
- Ability to prioritize and manage a high volume of projects and tasks in a fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrated credibility working confidential information and/or managing sensitive issues.
- Hard working with superb attention to detail and nuance.
- Strong aptitude for due diligence and compliance matters.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise sound judgment and have clearly displayed initiative and innovation.
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically, develop and manage complex projects from initial application to fully completed project, and adopt new approaches in response to changing circumstances.
- An ability to learn and translate information into action.
- Experience and proven ability to encourage and nurture collaboration among diverse partners, with an ability to create and thrive in a team environment and work in partnership with a variety of people and organizations.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, with proven ability to convey information clearly.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills with the ability, style and personality to foster collaborative problem-solving and resolve or diffuse conflict.
- Ability to work independently.
- Valid driver’s license.
Company health insurance plan, retirement, 401(k), parental leave, paid vacation and sick leave, and holiday observances
How to Apply
Email a cover letter and resume in PDF format to Jordan Vana at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject heading “MLR Finance and Operations Director Application: [Your Last Name].”
- Date Posted: September 8, 2021
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Accounting / Financial Management
- Service Area: Environment
- Salary Range: 60,000-80,000