Family Assistance Counselor – Davidson Co.
Voted Top Workplace 2013-2021! Awesome work culture, great benefits, inclusive, welcoming, and compassionate team.
STARS mission is to help young people pursue their unlimited potential by providing hope, health, and connection. STARS has served some of our most disenfranchised populations by providing school-based prevention and intervention services, as well as intensive outpatient treatment services for adolescents with substance use and co-occurring disorders.
I. Position Purpose
The STARS Family Assistance Counselor will be responsible for directing and assisting in the implementation of all program components of the Student Assistance Model in their school(s) assignment.
II. Essential Functions – Specific Job Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to meet the essential functions and job responsibilities of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
As STARS Family Assistance Counselor:
- Facilitates developmentally appropriate individual and support group education and support sessions.
- Provides case management and follow-up services to parents, students, school personnel and community professionals, which includes making appropriate referral services, as needed.
- Conducts parent meetings
- Provide case management services for families which may include;
- Clothing and food distribution
- Help families navigate technology needs
- Direct people to the best source of help for immediate needs within the community.
- Provides support and assistance with truancy related issues
- Offers presentations and facilitates trainings for school faculty and families on topics related to mental health, SEL, strategies to support youth and family wellbeing, and related topics
- Collects and maintains all appropriate data and completes all required program reporting as needed
- Serves as an advocate for education, prevention/intervention programs or activities, treatment agencies within the community, and other follow-up support services for the students and families.
- Establishes and maintains working relationships with individuals, court services, social service and counseling agencies, public and private associations, and businesses in the community in order to form partnerships and service plans to meet the needs of students and their families as deemed appropriate by STARS.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
- Master’s degree in counseling or social work required.
- Three or more years of related experience.
- Knowledge in education and counseling services, including drug, alcohol, and violence prevention.
- Knowledge and experience of social service referral sources in the community.
- Must possess leadership ability and team building skills.
- Good human relation skills, strong verbal and written communication skills required.
- Well-developed problem-solving skills and ability to develop conceptual alternatives.
- Must possess the ability to implement and incorporate existing protocol, practices and policies into the work environment.
- Must have the ability to organize, implement and interpret the programs, goals, objectives, policies, procedures, etc., of the business.
IV. Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required.
Exceptional skills in:
- Human relations
- Verbal and written communications
- Problem solving
- Organizational management
- Team building
Proven ability to:
- Seek out new methods and principles and be willing to incorporate them into existing protocol, practices and policies.
- Plan, organize, develop, implement, interpret and support goals, objectives, policies, procedures, etc.
- Support organization’s goals and values.
- Respond to common inquiries, issues or complaints from employees, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community.
- Lead groups and facilitate discussions.
- Foster a work environment that shows respect and sensitivity for cultural differences.
- Promote a bullying and harassment-free environment.
- Serve a diverse school and community population.
- Build morale and group commitment to goals and support everyone’s efforts to succeed.
- Develop conceptual alternatives and think globally.
- Deliver customer service with both internal and external partners.
- Maintain a high level of personal and professional integrity and ethics at all times.
- Ensure confidentiality and security of sensitive data.
- Facilitate and manage cross-department and cross-company collaboration.
V. Work Environment:
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to quiet.
VI. Physical & Mental Demands:
The physical and mental demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk.
The employee’s psychological health and stability must allow them to refer, counsel, teach, support, and manage the needs of young people, families and other stakeholders served. In some cases, Counselors deal with severe crisis episodes, including but not limited to, suicide ideation, physical and sexual abuse, substance abuse, use and addiction, mental abuse, cutting, homicidal issues, and trauma. Employee must have ability to consistently operate with integrity and honesty. Employee must have ability to maintain healthy boundaries with young people, families, stakeholders and colleagues.
VII. Performance Standards
The Family Assistance Counselor will be evaluated on his/her ability to perform the essential functions of this position; utilize their skills and abilities to meet annual individual, departmental and organizational goals; complete projects and assigned tasks in an accurate, cooperative and timely manner; set realistic priorities; and maintain his/her professionalism in interactions with staff, donors, and other major stakeholders.
- Short-Term Disability
- Long-Term Disability
- Critical Illness
- Health Savings Account
- Flexible Spending Account
- 401K & 401K Matching
- Employee Assistance Program
Equal Opportunity Employer: STARS Nashville does not discriminate against a job applicant or an employee because of the person’s race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, transgender status, and sexual orientation), national origin, age (40 or older), disability or genetic information.
How to Apply
Please apply on STARS website at:
- Date Posted: June 15, 2022
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Clinician
- Service Area: Children / Youth
- Start Date: 08/01/2022
- Working Hours: 37.5 hrs/wk; M-F