Fall Lesson Assistant
Saddle Up! is hiring a part-time Lesson Assistant for the 2021 Fall Session (August 16-December 11).
It is the primary responsibility of the Lesson Assistant to facilitate the efficient delivery of service to our participants during lessons. This may be accomplished by assisting instructors in preparing horses, leading, lunging or side walking as assigned, and supporting new volunteers as they join our lesson schedule. It is the secondary responsibility of the LA to assist in maintaining the cleanliness and organization of the arena, tack room, and barn areas. This position reports to the Volunteer Services Director for general onboarding, and Program Staff when working in lessons or the barn.
- Part-time as scheduled.
- Temporary position per session.
- LA must be able to commit to the same lesson schedule for the entire session.
- Must be available at least 10 hours per week during the program defined times, which will vary based on session needs.
- Hours may vary between daytime hours and afternoon/evening hours on weekdays and Saturdays, or other times as needed (as determined by the schedule of each lesson session).
We currently need coverage for the following shifts:
- Wednesdays 3:00-8:30pm
- Fridays 2:30-7:00pm
- Saturdays 1:00-5:00pm
Saddle Up!’s mission is to provide children and youth with disabilities the opportunity to grow and develop through therapeutic, educational, and recreational activities with horses. We bring that mission to life by providing a year-round program on our 34-acre farm in Franklin, TN. Our programs include Adaptive Riding, Therapy Services, Equine Assisted Learning, Fun on the Farm, Saddle Up! Equestrian Club, Interactive Vaulting, and Alumni Transitions. We are a Premier Center accredited by Path International, the organization that sets the standards for safety and quality in equine assisted programs. To learn more about Saddle Up! and our programs, please visit our website at
1. Bring horses up to paddocks/stall as required for the lesson schedule.
2. Prepare horses for lessons by grooming, lunging, etc. as scheduled.
3. Lead, sidewalk, or lunge during lessons as scheduled.
4. Help Instructors with arena set up and tear down as requested.
5. Help to clean up grooming areas, arenas, stalls, and barns as time permits during the shift.
6. Keep tack room neat, clean, and organized.
7. Keep laundry room neat, clean and dirty laundry washed.
8. Train or assist new volunteers as requested by the Volunteer Services Director.
9. Other duties as assigned.
- Successful completion of Saddle Up! New Volunteer Training and Leader Training sessions
- Knowledge and demonstration of safe horse handling, grooming, and tacking skills.
- Knowledge of tack and other lesson equipment.
- Ability to assist and train inexperienced volunteers.
- Knowledge of safe leading, lunging, and sidewalking techniques.
- Physically capable of performing tasks required throughout work shift which may include lifting, shoveling, walking/jogging, cleaning stalls, and related responsibilities of the job.
- Desire to increase knowledge, skills, and experience with equine handling, care, and training.
- Commitment to positive communications, teamwork, and excellent customer service.
Not eligible for benefits.
How to Apply
If interested, please email the Volunteer Services Director, Sally Stonage, at email@example.com.
- Date Posted: August 5, 2021
- Type: Part-Time
- Job Function: Educator
- Service Area: Animal Welfare
- Start Date: 08/16/2021
- Salary Range: $7.75/hr
- Working Hours: 10+ hrs/wk