Adventure Science Center
Facilities Technician I
Adventure Science Center
Position Title: Facilities Technician I
Reports To: Facilities Manager
FLSA Designation: Non-Exempt, Part-Time Position
Pay Rate: $17.00/hour
Adventure Science Center’s purpose is to transform lives through extraordinary experiences in science and innovation, and our vision is to become a nationally renowned destination science center. Adventure Science Center provides powerful exhibitions and inspiring programs with exceptional guest experiences that deepen the engagement of all ages in science and science-related disciplines. Adventure Science Center supports STEAM education and workforce development through industry collaboration by presenting science in an engaging, innovative manner.
This position is part of the team of facilities professionals who are essential to the care and maintenance of a 100,000+ square foot facility. This individual is responsible for multiple responsibilities, tasks, and duties that help the Adventure Science Center function seven days a week. This position will perform daily tasks ranging from custodial and maintenance tasks to event set-up/tear-down, both essential to the core operation.
The work schedule for this role is Saturday and Sunday 8:30 am-6:30 pm, with additional hours available during the week as needed for coverage or events and rentals.
With the direction of the Facilities Manager:
- Maintain cleanliness of the building, including but not limited to daily vacuuming, dusting, trash collection, sanitizing high-touch areas, and cleaning of bathrooms.
- Ensure public events and private rentals are set up and torn down in a timely manner, including but not limited to tables, chairs, linens, and decorations.
- Assists with daily inspection of facility equipment as needed.
- Assists Facilities Manager and Facilities Technician II, as needed, with maintenance of HVAC, electrical, pneumatic systems, plumbing, elevators, etc.
- Maintain various maintenance and safety checklist duties.
- Perform miscellaneous and job-related duties as assigned.
- Support guests and co-workers by resolving issues with a positive, courteous, and professional attitude.
- Maintains quality service by establishing and enforcing organization standards.
- Approaches position with a teamwork mentality to achieve common goals.
- Understanding of the importance and value of working as part of a larger cross-functional and inter-departmental team in a professional, courteous, and collaborative way.
- Attend monthly staff meetings as schedule permits.
- Perform core operational functions of guest safety and wayfinding.
- Assist during emergency and evacuation situations.
SPECIFIC JOB KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND TRAITS
- The work schedule is Saturday and Sunday, 8:30 am-6:30 pm, with additional hours available during the week as needed for coverage or events and rentals.
- Ability to fill out and complete daily checklist
- Ability to operate various types of custodial equipment including but not limited to, upright and hand vacuums.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions and able to read cleaning chemical labels and proper application of those chemicals.
- Ability to work independently as well as be an effective team member.
- Basic shop knowledge, drills, saws, and various hand tools.
- Basic Knowledge of and practice with Microsoft Outlook, Word, and Excel.
- Motivated, flexible, and dependable.
- Reliable, courteous, and collaborative team player.
- Pleasant disposition, customer service oriented.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment and flexibility should difficult situations arise.
- ASC-provided uniform must be worn at all times
- Must complete ASC training in order to work with hazardous materials
- High School diploma or Equivalent
- 1-2 years previous work experience in one or more of the following fields: custodial, maintenance, events.
- Be able to pass a background check
- Be available to work weekends, holidays, and occasional after-hours events
- Courteous professional manner and ability to interact with science center guests
- Must be able to stand for extended periods of time as well as lift and move supplies and equipment (up to lift 50 lbs. unassisted and 100 lbs. assisted)
Environmental Conditions & Physical Demands
- The work environment involves everyday risks or discomforts requiring normal safety precautions typical of such places as offices, meetings, and training rooms; use of safe work practices with office equipment, avoidance of trips and falls and observance of fire regulations.
- Physical demands include event equipment and set up, walking, carrying, standing during events, and
- lifting up to 50 lbs. unassisted and 100 lbs. assisted.
- The employee must have manual dexterity, visual and auditory acuity. Some repetitive motion is involved.
- We are playful and passionate experimenters
- We think big, embrace risk, and evolve our ideas in order to lead
- We are collaborative with each other and our whole community
- We foster diversity, curiosity, and creativity to make our experience unique
BENEFITS AND PERKS
- Free onsite parking
- Complimentary membership to Adventure Science Center
- Free or discounted admission to local venues including The Nashville Zoo, The Frist Art Museum, Nashville Shores, Cheekwood Estate and Gardens, and more!
- Eligibility for Public Student Loan Forgiveness
How to Apply
To be considered for this position, please submit a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references to email@example.com. Electronic submission is required for all materials. To expedite processing, please place “Facilities Technician I” in the subject line of your message. No phone calls, please. Due to the volume of applications received, we will only contact candidates selected for interviews.
- Date Posted: August 3, 2023
- Type: Part-Time
- Job Function: Other
- Service Area: Children / Youth
- Start Date: 08/21/2023
- Salary Range: $17.00
- Working Hours: Primarily Saturday and Sunday