Martha O'bryan Center
Explore! Community School Principal
Martha O'bryan Center
At Explore! we always begin with our mission: to foster the independence, critical thinking, and creativity of a diverse community of learners so they are fully prepared to become confident, conscientious leaders who change the world.
Explore! Community School opened with a kindergarten class in 2015 and is growing one grade per year until K-8. We are currently seeking an experienced Exceptional Education Teacher who will provide an inspiring, joyful, and challenging education by engaging all students in meaningful, authentic learning experiences that lead them to master core academic content while developing the character and social skills that will equip them to become the innovative future leaders of Nashville. As an outreach of the Martha O’Bryan Center, Explore! will build upon the agency’s extensive experience in community support and engagement to create a unique and thriving community school. Led by an extraordinary group of loving and supportive teachers that truly value the unique strengths and skills each student and family bring, Explore! students demonstrate the highest levels of academic achievement, character growth, confidence, joy, and care for themselves and their community. Every day at Explore!, teachers and staff work with families and the community to embrace the diversity that surrounds us and grow together through curiosity, reflection, and collaboration to ensure our students are known, supported, healthy, happy, challenged, and fully prepared to be wildly successful in every future pursuit.
Check out this video to learn more about our school and culture!
We are currently seeking a Principal to model our core values and guide the community’s progress towards our mission. The Principal will report to the Explore! Advisory Board and Martha O’Bryan Center CEO and is responsible for all personnel and programs. The Principal will ensure academic quality, support teachers’ professional development, implement high standards for community conduct, and maintain a strong, joyful culture among students, staff, and families. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Leading School Culture
- Model Explore!’s Core Values and Commitments at the highest level;
- Develop strong relationships with families and students, creating investment in our mission and methods and coach all staff to do the same;
- Lead our community in maintaining a culture of excellence, joy, and love;
- Oversee students’ academic and behavioral program, including disciplinary decisions and enforcement of the Community Handbook;
- Ensure learning and working at Explore! is joyful;
- Leading Instruction;
- Communicate a clear, consistent, results-oriented vision for school-wide instructional practice;
- Drive ongoing improvement through feedback, coaching, and professional development;
- Guide the collection, analysis, and response to a diverse set of data to foster continuous improvement;
- Monitor curriculum implementation to ensure fidelity to the Explore! model while thoughtfully empowering faculty autonomy, creativity, and expression.
Leading a Team
- Inspire and motivate staff to achieve Explore!’s mission and to model our Core Values;
- Foster the development of a high-performing staff through systematic procedures for hiring, goalsetting, supervision, support, evaluation, retention, and dismissal;
- Seek out and incorporate feedback to ensure utilization of the community’s collective expertise;
- Supervise and support the school’s leadership team in accomplishing the school’s goals;
- Manage systems and procedures to ensure school compliance and minimize non-instructional tasks for teachers;
- Collaborate with other school leaders, Explore!’s Advisory Committee, and Martha O’Bryan staff to methodically grow Explore!’s faculty as the school expands to reach capacity.
- Commitment to Explore! Community School’s mission, values, and educational model.
- Strong instructional and classroom management skills.
- Proven track record of meeting extremely high standards for student achievement.
- Relentlessness and willingness to do whatever it takes to ensure success.
- Demonstrated ability to lead adults by building relationships, nurturing growth, and investing in their success.
- Strong organizational skills; attention to detail, and follow-through.
- Maturity, humility, sense of humor, and love for students, staff, and families.
- Expertise in elementary childhood development and education.
- Demonstrated ability to teach in ways that are interactive, hands-on, project-based, and promote exploration and critical thinking.
- Belief that children can make a significant contribution to the school, community, and the world.
- Commitment to building a diverse, inclusive, and equitable community.
- Strategic thinker, able to communicate a vision to a range of adult audiences (families, faculty, donors, etc.).
Educational Background and Work Experience
- Bachelor’s degree required, a master’s degree is preferred.
- Successful experience leading adults.
- 4+ years of urban teaching experience with a track record of high student achievement.
- Experience as an AP, Dean, or equivalent leadership role highly preferred.
- Experience in a project-based learning school or a similar progressive model preferred.
- Additional skills that enhance students’ academic experience (e.g. multi-lingual, musician, carpentry, knock-knock jokes, etc.) are highly sought.
- Familiarity with faculty recruitment and hiring practices.
- Experience developing and executing school or other non-profit budgets.
This position is benefits elgible
How to Apply
Please apply at: https://marthaobryan.org/careers/
- Date Posted: September 20, 2021
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Educator
- Service Area: Education