Exhibits & Facilities Specialist
Exhibits & Facilities Specialist
Reports to: Director of Exhibits & Facilities
Nature and Scope of Position
Responsible for maintaining the overall cleanliness of the museum and performing a variety of skilled tasks in the maintenance and operations of exhibits and facilities at the Discovery Center.
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Daily, weekly, and monthly cleaning of museum facilities, including the outdoor patio and building perimeter, preferably before museum hours.
- Regularly vacuums wipes down, and washes facilities and exhibit components, including glass, carpet, wood, water areas, and all hand-made objects.
- Launders exhibit components as needed.
- Deep cleaning of classrooms and The Studio exhibit areas on a regularly scheduled basis.
- Clean and service all restrooms, and disinfect all toilet bowls, sinks, and countertops. Replenish all toilet rolls and towel dispensers. Remove trash and replace the lining in all trash cans.
- Identify and report possible repairs to the Director of Exhibits and Facilities.
- Pick up litter from around the building and grounds.
- Empty garbage and trash receptacles, recycle bins
- Maintain and requisition adequate cleaning supplies, toilet rolls, paper towels, and any items needed to complete the job.
- Supports the Director of Exhibits & Facilities with larger scale cleaning efforts including all staff cleaning days and cleaning that requires the use of outside contractors.
Exhibits and Facilities:
- Maintains cleanliness, safety, and operation of all exhibits, ensuring proper functionality on a daily basis: dusting, cleaning, checking lighting, and exhibit operation.
- Assists with routine and preventative maintenance, including safety procedures and checks, on facilities. Assists with repairs as needed.
- Provides direct assistance with all exhibit installations including construction work necessary, installation of objects, text panels, exhibit lighting, and other related installation tasks as assigned.
- Attend monthly staff meetings.
- Participate in a walkthrough of the museum with the supervisor on at least a monthly basis.
- Other duties as assigned by the Director of Exhibits & Facilities
Strong communication skills Interpersonal skills
Results-oriented Attention to detail
Multi-task Prioritization skills
Client service-minded Punctuality and Timeliness
Organized Positive, upbeat attitude
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required:
- One year’s experience in custodial work or facilities maintenance is preferred.
- Ability to interact effectively, professionally, and courteously with visitors, staff, and volunteers.
- Knowledge of janitorial procedures and ability to operate related equipment.
- Knowledge of facilities operating systems.
- Basic carpentry skills.
- Ability to operate with interactive and fast-paced team-oriented tasks
- Ability to relate to persons of all ages, diverse backgrounds, skills, and abilities.
- Must be able to handle multiple tasks.
- Ability to work a very flexible schedule that will include nights, weekends, and holidays
- Must possess a valid Tennessee driver’s license.
- Ability to work on ladders.
- This job requires periods of standing, sitting, walking, stooping, kneeling, reaching, turning, twisting, bending above and below the waist, use of hands and arms, lifting, talking, hearing, use of computer and keyboard, and use of cleaning supplies and equipment. Must have the ability to use both hands in fine manipulation of small tools; the ability to see well enough to read handwritten and typewritten materials; push/pull up to 50-100 lbs., and regularly lift up to 75 pounds.
- Noise level varies from quiet to loud
- Temperature varies from hot to cold
Health, dental, vision, LTD, and life insurance
401k with match
Paid time off
How to Apply
Send your resume and three professional references to Jennifer Uhl at email@example.com. No phone calls.
- Date Posted: September 28, 2023
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Other
- Service Area: Children / Youth
- Start Date: 10/18/2023
- Salary Range: $17-$20/hour
- Working Hours: 40 hrs/wk M-F