YMCA of Middle TN
Executive Director of Camping Services
YMCA of Middle TN
Camp Widjiwagan is an action-packed summer experience where confidence is created through skill development and new friendships are the result of teamwork. We offer summer camp with both overnight and day camp sessions for boys and girls, 1st through 11th grade. Camp Widjiwagan is located on the shores of Percy Priest Lake, in Nashville, TN, just 20 minutes from downtown. The Camp sits on 320 acres and four miles of shoreline at the Joe C. Davis YMCA Outdoor Center.
The Y is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal-opportunity employer. Women, people of color, people with disabilities, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. In compliance with laws and in furtherance of our commitment to fostering an environment that welcomes and embraces diversity, all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, or veteran status.
Consistent with the Christian mission and vision of the YMCA of Middle Tennessee and in cooperation with other YMCA staff, under the direction of the Chief Operations Officer, the Executive Director of Camping Services is responsible for the day-to-day operations of the Joe C. Davis YMCA Outdoor Center programs and guest services. S/he must balance fiscal responsibility, staff development/motivation, quality program delivery and equipment upkeep, cleanliness, security, and safety to experience success. The Executive Director of Camping Services position has both strategic and operational components to provide and expand creative program services to youth, families, and communities.
- Model the YMCA core values: Caring, Honesty, Respect, and Responsibility.
- Model anti-racist attitudes and behaviors and operate with multicultural competence, including supporting diversity and effectively working with people of different backgrounds, abilities, motivations, opinions, and perceptions.
- Demonstrate deep commitment to the Christian mission of the YMCA, and as such, its commitment to the inclusion of people of all, or no religious backgrounds, as well as inclusion of all dimensions of diversity in the delivery of the organization’s programs and services.
- Develop and maintain relationships with area organizations, community leaders, and businesses to develop new opportunities to meet the needs of the community and to enhance current camp programs and services while achieving Association operating objectives.
- Ensure outstanding customer/member service and meet all Association and Outdoor Center standards.
- Implement character development in all programs and all aspects of the Outdoor Center operations.
- Create and maintain a positive work environment for all camp employees while maintaining open communication and positive relationships with Association leadership and staff.
- Lead staff team (currently 11 exempt, 20 year-round hourly, and 175 summer/resident camp) and volunteer development, including recruitment, team building, training, evaluation, recognition, life-skills development, staff meetings, etc.
- Provide supervision to the Associate Executive Director of Camping to ensure camp policies, procedures, staff training, certifications, etc. meet or exceed Association, Praesidium, CHA, ACCT, and ACA guidelines.
- Provide supervision to the Director of Groups and Conferences to maximize opportunities for collaboration and partnerships with community organizations.
- Monitor management, utilization, maintenance, and care for the entire facility and all equipment to ensure effective and safe use; manage risk at the Outdoor Center.
- Ensure all safety procedures are followed in accordance with YMCA of Middle TN policy and all local, state & federal laws.
- Develop and provide leadership and guidance to the Camp Widji Advisory Board and standing committees.
- Serve as a leader in the Annual Giving Campaign, major gifts, and other fundraising initiatives by maintaining relationships with Community Partnerships, coordinating Agency Camps, and developing a camp alumni development campaign within the ACG to send kids to camp.
- In conjunction with the Association Leadership
- Develop and implement the long-term plan and vision of the Outdoor Center to meet the needs of the community and achieve the Association’s operating objectives.
- Create a plan to raise capital funds for the center outlined in the “Widji 365” Capital Development Vision.
- Assist in the management of all construction projects associated with the “Widji 365” vision.
- In conjunction with the Association MARCOM department, develop and implement center marketing plans and implementation on multiple platforms: social, web, print, email, text services, video production, and e-newsletters.
- Supervise School Age Services/ Joe C. Davis Center Food Delivery partnership; currently, Camp is serving 20 schools and over 900 meals per day nine months of the year.
- Develop, manage, and monitor the Outdoor Center operating budget and meet or exceed budget targets.
- Various duties related to the general camp operation, including but not limited to directing and supervising weekend events, producing staff and camper videos, and representing the camp and the YMCA of Middle Tennessee at home shows, exhibits, and conferences.
- Serve as weekend manager on duty and assist with special events when scheduled.
- Passion, enthusiasm, and commitment to the mission and cause of the YMCA.
- Must present a professional image and possess strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to influence and relate effectively to diverse groups of people from all social and economic segments of a multicultural community.
- Demonstrated ability to work cross-functionally, collaborate, and convene working groups across all levels of the organization.
- Proven supervisorial leadership, people management, and development skills with the ability to inspire and motivate staff.
- Strong acumen of a volunteer-governed organization, with an appreciation for and/or experience working with a non-profit board.
- Excellent written, oral, and presentation skills.
- Knowledge of policies, procedures, activities, programs, and children as they relate to camping.
- Extensive knowledge of camp programming: sports, arts, challenge courses, swimming, boating, literacy, equestrian, outdoor living, cabin life, evening programs, outdoor education, and special events.
- Ability to analyze complex information, and to define and solve problems.
- Must be highly organized with the ability to work under pressure and handle multiple strategic priorities and deadlines, working either independently or as part of a team. Takes initiative and holds self and others accountable to meet or exceed quantitative and qualitative goals.
- Knowledge of federal and state employment laws and regulations, and non-profit sector employment policies and procedures.
- Must be able to maintain confidentiality of information.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and other software programs, as well as the ability to use most office equipment, is required. Working knowledge of Camp Wise software is preferred.
- Minimum 21 years of age.
- Minimum ten years of full-time overnight camp and conference experience; experience managing a $2M+ budget.
- This position is onsite and requires the ability to travel throughout Middle Tennessee, the willingness to live onsite during summer camp operations, and the ability to work a flexible schedule, including evenings and weekends, required.
- Multilingual is a plus.
Benefits package includes options for Medical, Dental, and Vision, generous PTO benefits, and retirement account options.
How to Apply
Click HERE to apply today!
- Date Posted: September 8, 2023
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Executive Leadership
- Service Area: Children / Youth
- Salary Range: $91,748 - 114,684 Depending on Experience
- Working Hours: As dictated by the needs of the program