Nashville Tree Foundation
Nashville Tree Foundation
Nashville Tree Foundation (NTF) is seeking a full-time, entrepreneurial, mission-driven Executive Director to take the organization to the next level. The Executive Director, in partnership with the Board, will be responsible for executing the organization’s strategic plan to:
- Become Nashville’s leading tree-planting non-profit,
- Ensure a sustainable future for the organization, and
- Cultivate a community that values trees through education and advocacy.
Under the direction of the NTF Board of Directors, the Executive Director is responsible for all aspects of the management and operation of the organization, including identification and pursuit of funding, development and maintenance of positive working relationships with city and community partners, and execution of all programming. To be successful, the Executive Director must be a proactive, energetic, and experienced leader willing to advocate for community support, negotiate mutually beneficial outcomes, and enhance our organizational capacity to achieve our mission.
- Leadership: Provides leadership in the implementation of strategic plans and short-term goals. Demonstrates initiative, adaptability, and a proactive, solutions-oriented approach to opportunities and challenges.
- Financial Management: Works with the executive committee to develop the annual budget for board approval, and also works with the accountant and external auditors to assure the organization’s finances are in good order.
- Fundraising/Development: Works with the development and communications committees to plan and execute all fundraising and development activities. Will also be responsible for meeting with individuals, corporations and foundations to build ongoing financial support and mutually beneficial partnerships.
- Partnership: Works with metro and state governments as well as other nonprofits and community groups to facilitate programs and projects.
- Program Management: Works with the program coordinator to design, implement, and assess planting, preservation and educational programs.
- Human Resource Management: Responsible for hiring and management of staff as needed to support the organization. The Executive Director will occasionally need to step in to fulfill responsibilities of staff, such as leading tree plantings, educational programs, answer questions, or attend community events.
- Board Liaison/Management: Serves as an ex officio, non-voting member of the board and all board committees and delivers reports at each board meeting and at other times as requested by the board.
- Communication/Advocacy: Effectively conveys Nashville Tree Foundation’s vision to staff, board, volunteers, donors and stakeholders. Develops and implements an advocacy/awareness/engagement campaign through multi-channel strategies.
- Culture: Creates a positive learning culture that encourages the introduction of new ideas, approaches and methods from staff and volunteers to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of programs and operations.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent skills and 5+ years of relevant professional work experience
- Experience in fundraising and community development
- Strong interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills
- Solutions-oriented, entrepreneurial spirit
- Knowledgeable and passionate about trees and tree care
- Experience with contact management systems
- Demonstrated experience working with Boards to achieve strategic objectives
- Ability to present complex information in an impactful and succinct manner through presentations, written reports, grant narratives, social media and other interactions
- Ability to work effectively with diverse and disparate constituencies
- Ability to manage multiple priorities, both independently and as the leader of a team
- Positive attitude, strong work ethic, creativity and flexibility
- Candidate must be available to occasionally work on weekends and nights
- Candidate must be physically able to participate in tree planting activities and other programming initiatives
- Experience working in the non-profit sector, especially in the operation of a conservation, friends or similar organization, is strongly preferred
- Experience hiring, managing and supervising staff
- Experience with advocacy, marketing/PR, and government relations
- Experience developing and executing mission-oriented programing
- Experience with community outreach, volunteers, and partnerships
- Demonstrated ability to work and communicate effectively with local and state governments, philanthropies and community stakeholders
- Communications experience including social media, press, and newsletters
The above is not intended as an exhaustive list of all duties and skills required, and may be modified as the needs of the position change.
Salary commensurate with experience.
How to Apply
Applicants should submit a letter of interest and a current resume by Friday, February 3, to:
Nashville Tree Foundation Search Committee
- Date Posted: January 12, 2023
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Executive Leadership
- Service Area: Environment
- Working Hours: 40 hrs/wk