Barbershop Harmonty Society
Executive Assistant to CEO
Barbershop Harmonty Society
Reporting directly to the Executive Director, the Executive Assistant (EA) provides executive support in a one-on-one working relationship. The Executive Assistant serves as the front line point of contact for internal and external constituencies on all matters pertaining to the Executive Director. The Executive Assistant also serves as a liaison to the board of directors; organizes and coordinates Executive Director outreach and external relations efforts; and oversees special projects. The Executive Assistant must be creative and enjoy working within a small entrepreneurial environment that is mission/vision-driven, results-driven and community oriented. The ideal individual will have the ability to exercise good judgment in a variety of situations, with strong written and verbal communications, administrative, and organizational skills, and the ability to maintain a realistic balance among multiple priorities. The Executive Assistant must be able to work under pressure at times to handle a wide variety of activities and confidential matters with discretion. The ideal Executive Assistant is self-motivated and works to anticipate tasks or needs of the Executive Director, Executive Team, and/or the Society Board.
- Completes a broad variety of administrative tasks for the Executive Director including: managing an extremely active calendar of meetings and appointments; completing monthly expense reports; reviewing and approving expense reports on the Executive Director’s behalf, composing and preparing correspondence that may be highly sensitive or confidential; arranging complex and detailed travel plans, itineraries, and agendas on a regular basis.
- Plans, coordinates and ensures the Executive Director’s schedule is carefully and thoughtfully coordinated, considering availability, urgent or time-sensitive matters, as well as ensuring a work/life balance.
- Communicates directly, and on behalf of the Executive Director when appropriate, with Board members, members, Barbershop Harmony Society staff, and others, on matters related to Executive Director’s programmatic initiatives.
- Researches, prioritizes, and follows up on incoming issues and concerns addressed to the Executive Director, including those of a sensitive or confidential nature. Determines appropriate course of action, referral or response.
- Provides a bridge for smooth communication between the Executive Director and internal staff; demonstrating leadership to maintain credibility, trust and support.
- Works closely and effectively with the Executive Director to keep him well informed of upcoming commitments and responsibilities, following up appropriately. Acts as a “barometer,” having a sense for the issues taking place in the environment and keeping the Executive Director updated.
- Provides leadership to build relationships crucial to the success of the organization, and manages a variety of special projects for the Executive Director, some of which may have organizational impact.
- Successfully completes critical aspects of deliverables with a hands-on approach, including drafting acknowledgement letters, personal correspondence, and other tasks that facilitate the Executive Director’s ability to effectively lead the organization.
- Prioritizes conflicting needs, handles matters expeditiously, proactively and follows-through on projects to successful completion, often with deadline pressures.
- On behalf of the Executive Director, sits on the Social Committee responsible for internal and external employee events.
- Assists the Executive Director to curate and maintain the desired staff culture.
- Assists Executive Director with the annual business planning process and quarterly plan updates.
Board Support and Liaison
- Serves as the Executive Director’s administrative liaison to Barbershop Harmony Society board of directors.
- Assists board members with travel arrangements, lodging and meal planning as needed.
- Maintains discretion and confidentiality in relationships with all board members.
- Adhere to compliance with applicable rules and regulations set in bylaws regarding board and board committee matters, including advance distribution of materials before meetings in electronic/paper format.
Executive Team Liaison
- Participates as an adjunct member of the Executive Team including assisting in scheduling and attending all meetings.
- Assists in coordinating the agenda of Executive Team meetings and off-site workshops, and all-staff meetings/check-ins.
- Assists in the recruitment, support of full-time, part-time, interns.
Communications, Partnerships, and Outreach
- Ensures that the Executive Director’s bio is kept updated and responds to requests for materials regarding the Executive Director.
- Edits and completes first drafts for written communications to external stakeholders.
- Assists Executive Director to determine annual field representatives at district conventions and events.
- Assists Executive Director to manage Global Alliance, Choral Ecosystem, Barbershop, and World Harmony Council relationships.
- Very strong interpersonal skills and relationship builder between departments, board members, external partners and volunteers
- Excellent organizational, analytical, and administrative skills and the ability to take a proactive, self-directed approach to projects with excellent attention to detail
- Expert level written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated proactive approaches to problem-solving with strong decision-making capability
- Highly resourceful team-player, with the ability to also be extremely effective independently
- Exceptional support skills, including the ability to respond to members, internal staff and others in a professional, knowledgeable and friendly manner
- Proven ability to handle confidential information with discretion, be adaptable to various competing demands, and demonstrate the highest level of customer service and response
- Demonstrated ability to achieve high performance goals and meet deadlines in a fast paced environment
- Competitive compensation package
- 10 days of paid vacation (eligible after 90-day probation period, prorated during first year of employment)
- 8 paid holidays and December 24 – January 1 off
- 8 paid sick days per year
- 100% company funded individual health, dental, and vision insurance
- Life insurance
- Optional short-term and long-term disability insurance
- 401K plan with 3% safe harbor contribution and company match that could aggregate up to an additional 3% (6% total)
- High-engagement staff environment with regular team building and social activities throughout the year
- A chance to make a difference in the lives of others
As a key component of our vision of Everyone in Harmony, the Barbershop Harmony Society is committed to building a team with a variety of backgrounds, experiences, perspectives, and skills. We believe that employees who feel valued and encouraged to share their ideas are empowered to foster innovation that leads to both personal and professional growth.
The Barbershop Harmony Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer. This company does not and will not discriminate in employment and personnel practices on the basis of race, sex (including pregnancy, sexual orientation or gender identity), age, disability, religion, national origin or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
How to Apply
Please click here to apply: https://barbershopharmonysociety.submittable.com/submit/203614/executive-assistant-to-the-ceo.
*Cover letter and resume are required. The application window will close January 2, 2022.
- Date Posted: December 20, 2021
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Administrative
- Service Area: Arts / Culture
- Working Hours: 40 hours 8 to 5