Episodes Data Analyst
TennCare is Tennessee’s managed care Medicaid program that provides health insurance coverage to certain groups of low-income individuals such as pregnant women, children, caretaker relatives of young children, older adults, and adults with physical disabilities. TennCare provides coverage for approximately 1.5 million Tennesseans and operates with an annual budget of approximately $12 billion. It is run by the Division of TennCare with oversight and some funding from the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS).
WHY WORK AT TENNCARE?
TennCare’s mission is to improve the lives of Tennesseans by providing high-quality cost-effective care. To fulfill that purpose, we equip each employee for active participation and empower teams to communicate and work collaboratively to improve organizational processes in order to make a difference in the lives our members. Because of the positive impact TennCare has on the lives of the most vulnerable Tennesseans, TennCare employees report that their work provides them with a sense of meaning, purpose, and accomplishment. TennCare leadership understands that employees are our most valuable resource and ensures professional and leadership development are a priority for the agency.
JOB AND DEPARTMENTAL OVERVIEW
The Episodes Data Analyst will support the Episodes of Care program within Tennessee’s Health Care Innovation Initiative under the Strategic Planning & Innovation division. The Analyst will be joining the dynamic Episodes of Care team, working alongside a close-knit group of individuals who actively brainstorm and collaborate on strategies to push forward value-based payment initiatives. The Analyst must possess strong quantitative skills, be comfortable analyzing large volumes of data, and demonstrate proficiency using analytical tools (e.g. Microsoft Excel, Tableau, etc.). The Analyst will also need to work independently, communicate clearly, navigate uncertainty, and collaborate with a diverse set of internal and external stakeholders, such as managed care organizations, contractors, provider and hospital associations, and other stakeholders within TennCare. The Analyst will help facilitate thoughtful discussions and make data-driven recommendations that shape state-wide policy and the agency’s Delivery System Transformation initiatives.
- Works independently within an area of primary professional or technical expertise with minimal supervision.
- Coordinates with key stakeholders (e.g. various TennCare operations teams, TennCare’s managed care organizations, hospital and provider associations, health care providers, etc.) to manage data requests and troubleshoot data issues
- Assists in performing complex data analysis (e.g. annual cost and quality benchmarking, quarterly performance trends, annual agency budget calculations, quality assurance checks, etc.) of the Episodes of Care program
- Leads routine (e.g., weekly, monthly) meeting series to keep both internal and external stakeholders aware of the Episodes program’s data requests and data analyses
- Assists in the analysis of Episodes cost and outcomes data to help drive the Strategic Planning & Innovation division’s policy decisions
- Uses business intelligence tools (e.g., Tableau) to help streamline analytical tasks, create data dashboards, and develop new ways to present data
- Conducts research and investigation to resolve problems, generally with minimal assistance
- Communicates effectively with internal and external stakeholders with diverse skill sets and points of view
- Provides ad-hoc support and analysis to the Episodes team, Strategic Planning & Innovation division, and executive leadership
- Bachelor’s degree and either 2-5 years of work experience or relevant graduate level education. Work experience in health insurance, health care delivery, or health policy is preferred but not required. Relevant Master’s Degrees include Statistics, Data Analytics, Public Policy, Public Health, Health Policy, Health Care Administration, Business Administration or Economics (with a focus on health care or health insurance)
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office software including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Experience gathering, organizing, researching, analyzing, and interpreting large data sets
- Ability to translate and explain complex ideas or conclusions to a broad audience of stakeholders.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Good presentation, questioning, and listening skills
- Demonstrated time management skills and proven ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously while completing work within allocated time frames
- Self-starter attitude with the capacity to work both independently and collaboratively
To see all the great benefits available to State of Tennessee employees, go to the TN.gov Benefits page: https://www.tn.gov/hr/employees1/benefits.html
How to Apply
To apply for this job or see other opportunities at TennCare, visit the state of Tennessee’s Careers page today: https://www.tn.gov/careers/apply-here.html
- Date Posted: June 25, 2021
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Administrative
- Service Area: Government