Travellers Rest Historic House Museum Inc.
Education Programs Coordinator
Travellers Rest Historic House Museum Inc.
This is a full-time salaried position reporting directly to the Director of Education, Interpretation, and Outreach. The main responsibilities of this position are to lead the implementation of the site’s educational programming and manage the logistics behind them. This position is responsible for developing, maintaining, and delivering quality educational programming to fulfill the stated mission of the site and to increase revenue.
- Lead and direct implementation of existing academic year educational & interpretive programs, including field trips, traveling trunks, home school groups, home school days, historic trades festival days, junior docents, hands-on family programs, adult programming, and group tours.
- Lead the development and implementation of all summer camp programs for youth ages 7-16 at Travellers Rest Historic House Museum.
- Manage the bookings of all academic field trips and educational programs.
- Responsible for all the logistics of booking programs and coordinating staffing needs as well as supplies in coordination with the Director of Education.
- Collaborate with the Director of Education and the Education Assistant to develop new and engaging educational and interpretive programs.
- Collaborate with the Director of Education & Education Assistant to develop and conduct outreach programs.
- Manage the development of new Education Guidebooks and improve existing Education Guidebooks for teachers based on State Education Standards.
- Lead Historic House Tours of the Site and Grounds and provide information on Middle Tennessee history as needed.
- Maintain positive relationships and ensure, through effective management, excellent customer service to all program participants and guests at the site.
- Maintain a knowledge of the current ticketing and group management software.
- Relieve interpreters at different times of the day in operating the museum gift shop and visitor center.
- Collaborate with the Education Assistant in preparing and maintaining all educational supplies and materials for all educational programs.
- Manage Education and Interpretation Department mailing lists and surveys.
- The Director of Education and Executive Director may assign other duties as required that are related to department projects.
- Knowledge of the history of Travellers Rest.
- A strong working knowledge of Tennessee State Curriculum Standards.
- Basic knowledge of learning styles and developmental stages for a wide variety of age groups.
- Works well with children and has a background in history, education, or museum studies.
- Must be able to lead and direct engaging programs for children and adults of all ages.
- Speaks clearly and effectively in all situations.
- Demonstrates ability to effectively balance task-oriented and process-oriented duties.
- Has exceptional time management.
- Must have above-average communication and organizational skills.
- Must be able to multitask, think outside the box, and troubleshoot problems effectively.
- Creativity and flexibility are essential.
- Demonstrates respect and sensitivity to cultural differences.
- Ability to work some weekends.
- Must follow the signed code of ethics outlined in the Employee Handbook
- Patience and endurance to sit behind a desk, as well as to stand for extended periods of time.
- Professional and courteous manner when dealing with co-workers.
- Transportation to and from work, during scheduled working hours.
- Two years of museum education or educational experience with youth is required.
- College degree, graduate degree preferred.
- Administrative environment encompassing offices for Sales, Development, Education-Interpretation, and volunteer Services, as well as the Business office and office of the Executive Director.
- Outdoor Environment, encompassing open-air classroom and demonstration spaces.
- Ability to sit and stand for long periods of time.
- Ability to stoop, bend, and lift a minimum of 20 pounds.
- Must be able to conduct programming in a range of environments including heat and cold.
Benefits include a healthcare package as well as 14 paid vacation days a year.
How to Apply
Please forward a resume along with a cover letter of interest by email to:
Travelers Rest Historic House Museum
Director of Education, Interpretation & Outreach
636 Farrell Parkway
Nashville, Tennessee 37220
- Date Posted: October 24, 2023
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Educator
- Service Area: Arts / Culture
- Start Date: 12/11/2023
- Salary Range: $38,000 - $40,000
- Working Hours: 37.5 hrs./wk. M-F