YWCA Nashville & Middle Tennessee
DV Specialist-PT Weekend Overnight
YWCA Nashville & Middle Tennessee
Position responds to incoming calls on the YWCA 24-hour crisis & support helpline providing emotional support, resources and safety planning, when appropriate. This position requires a high level of compassion, empathy, and sensitivity to all callers and shelter residents. The Lead Domestic Violence Specialist is responsible for providing direct services to residents at the Weaver Center from point of entry and throughout their stay; maintaining building security and resources; and providing support and solutions for daily needs. This role assists in the training of other staff members and responds to questions from DV Specialists on day-to-day operations of the Weaver Center.
- Assesses need of callers for emergency shelter, determines eligibility for intake and develops transportation plan to shelter.
- Assist with new hire and ongoing staff training as needed.
- Provides supportive interactions and information on the dynamics of domestic violence to shelter residents.
- Provide services that are reflective of trauma informed care and empowerment model best practices
- Maintains accurate and confidential records for each client, documenting resident behaviors, incidents, interactions, and progress in consistent and ethical manner on a daily basis.
- Conducts intake, orientation, exits, exit interviews, and safety planning with shelter residents in appropriate/timely manner.
- Monitors building status and cleanliness, reporting malfunctions and ensuring building is kept clean.
- Identifies barriers to success for clients and makes appropriate referrals.
- Monitors resident activity throughout the shelter and manages conflict through appropriate intervention.
- Monitors and secures the physical environment to maximize safety of residents, implementing appropriate reactions to security threats as needed.
- Develops an understanding of agency and program policies and procedures, implementing appropriately and interpreting to residents and volunteers.
- Manages and maintains the rotating holiday residential coverage.
- Provide support to visitors and volunteers.
- Conducts resident meetings as needed to share information and build community.
- Conduct weekly room inspections, noting status of the building and filing appropriate work orders.
- Attends program staff meetings, in-service training sessions, YW All Staff, and other meetings as requested.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
High school diploma or equivalent. Bachelors in Counseling or a related mental health field preferred. Minimum of six months experience in a residential or domestic violence shelter including call center operations.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee must be able to communicate verbally with peers/general public, clients, and/or vendors.
- Must be able to tolerate various noise levels: noise level in the work environment varies – may be very quiet or extremely loud.
- Job performance will require the ability to move throughout the building as well as sit or remain stationary for extended periods of time.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be required to talk or hear, sit, stand, walk, reach, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl, taste or smell.
- The employee must be able to move 25 pounds.
- Proficiency in Spanish or other languages preferred.
- Position requires the incumbent to have a valid driver’s license, vehicle insurance and a clear driving record for the last three years.
- Ability to react immediately, yet calmly, to crisis situations and quickly build rapport with callers.
- Ability to speak concisely and effectively communicate needs and information.
- Demonstrate compassion and understanding for people dealing with potentially life-threatening situations and be able to assess serious issues.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment and discretion.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills analyzing problems and presenting solutions to staff and residents.
- Strong customer service ethic and follow through.
- Well organized and able to prioritize use of time.
- Demonstrated ability to treat all persons in a respectful manner with high awareness and sensitivity to cultural differences.
- Promotes a team oriented and collaborative work environment.
- Willingness to support the mission of the YWCA and ability to convey its importance both verbally and in writing.
Eliminating racism and empowering women is the mission of the YWCA Nashville. Work with us and receive:
- 10 Paid Holidays
- Employer Paid Medical
- Employer Paid Long Term Disability
- Parental Leave
- 2 Floating Holidays
- Employer Paid Vision
- Employer Paid $25K Life
- Health Reimbursement
How to Apply
For faster consideration, apply using the link below!
- Date Posted: October 20, 2022
- Type: Part-Time
- Job Function: Administrative
- Service Area: Social / Human Services
- Start Date: 10/20/2022
- Salary Range: 21.00/hour
- Working Hours: 11pm-7:30am/Sat & Sun