YWCA Nashville & Middle Tennessee
Domestic Violence Specialist
YWCA Nashville & Middle Tennessee
Position responds to crisis hotline calls and provides support and safety plan for program participants.
Relationships and Contacts
Within the organization: Maintains frequent and professional working relationships with
staff throughout the organization including peers, directors, senior and executive management.
Outside the organization: Maintains frequent and professional working relationships with
shelter clients, visitors and volunteers.
1. Assesses need of callers for emergency shelter, determines eligibility for intake and
develops transportation plan to shelter.
2. Provides supportive interactions and information on the dynamics of domestic violence
to shelter residents.
3. Maintains accurate and confidential records for each client, documenting resident
behaviors, incidents, interactions, and progress in consistent and ethical manner on a
4. Conducts intake, orientation, exit interviews, and safety planning with shelter residents
in appropriate/timely manner.
5. Monitors building status and cleanliness, reporting malfunctions and ensuring building
is kept clean.
6. Identifies barriers to success for clients and makes appropriate referrals.
7. Monitors resident activity throughout shelter and manages conflict through appropriate
8. Monitors and secures physical environment to maximize safety of residents,
implementing appropriate reactions to security threats as needed.
9. Develops an understanding of agency and program policies and procedures,
implementing appropriately and interpreting to residents and volunteers.
10. Manages and maintains the rotating holiday residential coverage.
1. Provide support to visitors and volunteers.
2. Conducts client meetings as needed to share information and build community.
3. Conduct weekly room inspections, noting status of the building and filing appropriate
4. Attends program staff meetings, in-service training sessions, YW All Staff, and other
meetings as requested.
5. Performs other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
High school diploma or equivalent and minimum six months related experience required;
Bachelor’s in Counseling or a related mental health field preferred.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee must be able to communicate with
peers/general public, clients, and/or vendors.
• Must be able to tolerate various noise levels: noise level in the work environment varies –
may be very quiet or extremely loud.
• Job performance will require the ability to move throughout the building as well as sit or
remain stationary for extended periods of time.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be required to talk or hear, sit,
stand, walk, reach, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl, taste or smell.
• The employee must be able to move 25 pounds.
Proficiency in Spanish or other languages preferred
• Ability to react immediately, yet calmly, to crisis situations and quickly build rapport
• Ability to speak concisely and effectively communication needs and information
• Demonstrate compassion and understanding for people dealing with potentially lifethreatening situations and be able to assess serious issues
• Sensitivity to the needs of survivors of domestic violence and their children
• Excellent organizational and time management skills
• Ability to exercise sound judgment and discretion
• Resourceful, creative and problem solver
• Excellent oral and verbal communication skills analyzing problems and presenting
solutions to a various staff and clients
• High follow through and attention to detail
• Demonstrated respect for and sensitivity to cultural differences.
• Strong belief in the YWCA and ability to convey its importance
Employee Assistance Program
How to Apply
Apply by clicking the link below.
YWCA Nashville & Middle Tennessee reserves the rights to modify, interpret, or apply this job
description in any way the organization desires. This job description in no way implies that
these are the only duties, including essential duties, to be performed by the employee
occupying this position. This job description is not an employment contract, implied or
otherwise. The employment relationship remains “At-Will.” The aforementioned job
requirements are subject to change to reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with
- Date Posted: January 15, 2021
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Programs and Service Delivery
- Service Area: Social / Human Services