American Red Cross
Disaster Services Program Specialist
American Red Cross
The American Red Cross is currently seeking a Program Specialist – Disaster Services for our Tennessee Region and support the Nashville Area Chapter.
The Nashville Area Chapter is comprised of 11 counties in Middle Tennessee. The Tennessee Region includes all Tennesse Counties, 2 counties in Mississippi, 1 county in Arkanasa, and Fort Campbell.
This is not a virtual position.
- Facilitate and support the development and implementation of strategies, initiatives, tools, plans, processes, and procedures within a functional area, or, through the development of volunteer leadership, oversee the implementation of the full disaster cycle of an assigned sub-territory. Functional areas may include Mass Care, Client Casework, Health and mental Health Services, Logistics, Information Management and situational Awareness, Partnerships and Emergency Management, Workforce Development, Preparedness, General Volunteer Support and engagement, or Home Fire Campaign.
- Analyze opportunities for improved program service and make recommendations for implementation. Implement assigned programs or services to meet goals.
- Support local preparation, response, and recovery activities as well as maintain government partnerships with assigned territories. Assist with a broader division and national network of disaster responders and help with deployments and relief operation activity outside the immediate region. This may include physical deployment to impacted communities.
- Engage and develop a volunteer team responsible for the implementation of disaster preparedness, response, and recovery programs in the local area. Ensure the development of leadership volunteers in each of the assigned programs to support functional areas of the disaster cycle in order to meet the needs of the assigned geography.
- Support local responses through the deployment of volunteer leaders on a daily basis in a rapid and accessible manner. Qualified and experienced volunteer leaders should be placed in key roles first. If volunteer leadership is unavailable, may service during times of disaster. Participate in local planning, exercises, and training, including exercises called by local partners and Volunteer Organizations Active in Disaster, Emergency Management Agencies, and Local Emergency Planning Committees (VOADs, EMAs, and LEPCs). May evaluate and report the effectiveness of the program or service. Prepare recommendations for continuous improvement.
- Serve as the Red Cross thought leader as needed at the local level with government and other agencies and organizations involved in the disaster. Key representative of the Red Cross in the community, interfacing with local officials and developing plans with community leaders. Ensure activities are in compliance with regional and national procedures and policies.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree required.
- Experience: Minimum 3 years of experience with social services or service/program delivery, or equivalent combination of education and related experience required.
- Management Experience: n/a
- Skills & Abilities: Ability to coordinate staff and volunteer activities. Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills. Develop project plans & budgets. Demonstrate in-depth knowledge of the program or service, ability to create presentations and training modules, and strategies to achieve organizational goals. Demonstrated analytical and decision-making skills to interpret program trends, and results, formulate recommendations, and develop creative processes for continuous program or service improvements. Proven track record of collaboration with diverse groups and individuals, managing multiple priorities, facilitation, problem-solving, marketing, leadership, and partnership management. Additionally, this position requires ability for planning, public speaking, project management, and process improvement. Individuals must be customer-oriented, organized, and able to operate with an orientation toward solutions with an external focus, and team orientation. Intermediate-level proficiency with MS Office software, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook. Familiarity with federal, state, and local employment laws. Must be able to perform all assigned responsibilities under “grey sky” requirements. Ability to work in a matrixed environment and on a team.
- Travel: Travel will be required. A valid driver’s license is required.
- Physical Requirements: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to handle or feel; and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 15 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 30 pounds. The work environment will consist of moderate noise (i.e. business office with computers, phones, and printers, light traffic). The employee must have the ability to work in a small cubicle and have the ability to sit at a computer terminal for an extended period of time.
We take care of you, while you take care of others. As a mission-based organization, we believe our team needs great support to do great work. Our comprehensive benefits help you balance your home and work. With our resources and perks, you have amazing possibilities at the American Red Cross to advance your learning.
- Medical and dental Vision plans
- Health Spending Accounts & Flexible Spending Accounts
- PTO + Holidays
- 401K with a 4% match
- Paid Family Leave
- Employee Assistance
- Disability and Insurance: Short + Long Term
- Service Awards and recognition
How to Apply
Resumes can only be submitted through the website application:
Apply now! Joining our team will provide you with the opportunity to make a difference every day.
The American Red Cross is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
- Date Posted: October 11, 2023
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Programs and Service Delivery
- Service Area: Other
- Start Date: 11/06/2023
- Working Hours: This salaried position will have regular office hours along with occasional needs on nights and weekends.