Disaster Relief – Tornado/COVID-19 Coordinator – AmeriCorps Member
Hands On Nashville
The Disaster Relief – Tornado/COVID-19 Coordinator (Coordinator) participates in a yearlong term of AmeriCorps service (1,700 hours) supporting Catholic Charities’ mission to provide direct services, programs, and resources to communities pushed to the margins. The Coordinator, based out of McGruder Family Resource Center, aids survivors and provides them with resources and financial assistance, and helps coordinate disaster-related volunteer projects.
This member should have experience with social media and communication and be adaptable; have strong organizational, logistical, and interpersonal skills; and be capable of managing stressful situations.
The Coordinator serves as part of a 23-person cohort of civic-minded individuals who receive skills training, professional development, and networking opportunities as part of The HON AmeriCorps Program.
- Provide relief and thorough needs assessments for long-term case management assistance to victims of recent disasters
- Develop relief efforts for damage recovery
- Procure materials and appliances for home reconstruction, and deliver or facilitate delivery to the appropriate site
- Organize and partner with other organizations for outreach and support services
- Ensure community members have basic needs provided during recovery period
- Manage projects meeting basic needs as well as projects involving coordination to reconstruct homes
- Recruit and coordinate volunteers for projects
- Provide communications and marketing assistance related to disaster relief
- Create processes for disaster relief and documents for review
- Develop disaster program policies and procedures
- Evaluate disaster relief program data
Preferred Knowledge & Skills:
- Experience with project management and researching and distilling complex information
- Knowledge of disaster management practices
- Able to carry out tasks independently as well as thrive as part of a team
- Energized by learning and problem solving
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Commitment to fulfill a one-year term of service (August 17, 2020-August 8, 2021)
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Valid driver’s license and reliable access to transportation (Members will be reimbursed for service-related mileage.)
- U.S. Citizenship
- National Service Criminal History Check clearance
HON does not discriminate based on age, gender, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, disability, or other factors which deny the essential humanity of all people.
- Living allowance of $17,000, paid bi-weekly throughout the term of service
- Education award of $6,095, applicable to student loans and/or future education expenses at an accredited institution, upon fulfillment of service obligations
- Healthcare coverage, if elected
- Childcare benefits, if eligible
- Professional development training and ample networking opportunities
How to Apply
Apply online at my.americorps.gov by August 1, 2020
For more information, please contact:
HON builds capacity for individuals and agencies to meet needs through volunteerism. The HON AmeriCorps Program is made possible through support from the Dan and Margaret Maddox Fund, Volunteer Tennessee, and participating AmeriCorps host organizations.
About Catholic Charities
Catholic Charities of Tennessee, which provides direct services, programs, and resources to communities pushed to the margins. Catholic Charities serves around 12,000 unique individuals each year including underserved individuals, families, refugees, and immigrants.
AmeriCorps is a voluntary public service program where members commit their time to address critical community needs. Learn more about AmeriCorps here.
- Date Posted: May 21, 2020
- Type: VISTA / AmeriCorps
- Job Function: Other
- Service Area: Other
- Start Date: 08/17/2020
- Working Hours: 35-40 hrs/wk; M-F, 8:00am - 4:30pm