Tennessee Hospital Association
Director of Public Relations
Tennessee Hospital Association
This position works directly with the vice president of marketing and communications (VP) in the development and execution of Public Relations (PR) programs and overall PR strategy, goals and messaging for the Association. This role coordinates day-to-day communications and public relations efforts, including developing, executing and managing a media relations program (both earned and paid), including pitch creation, media research, targeting, outreach, etc. to increase value of THA membership, maximize member engagement and satisfaction, as well as elevate the profile of Tennessee hospitals.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE JOB: (listed in order of importance) List your principal accountabilities; identify what you do, what end results you are accountable for, and how you measure your success.
Under the direction of VP:
- The ability to adapt to a changing work environment and meet challenges presented throughout the day.
- Make recommendations to the VP in the development and implementation of an annual communications plan for Association activities, including media plans for special events, industry observations and related promotions.
- Develop and execute public relations and PR programming for all Association efforts.
- Write and distribute press releases, opinion-editorial columns, bios, media statements, quotes and related content for internal and external use (print and online media, THA website, digital media, etc.).
- Research THA issues and create talking points and/or one-pagers.
- Establish and maintain a network of media members.
- Serve as primary contact for all members of the media; field reporter questions and coordinate interviews with THA president and other appropriate staff and/or Board members, as necessary.
- Coordinate media activity at THA events.
- Establish and maintain multiple relationships ranging from trade, business, national, state and local outlets.
- Provide strategic and tactical input that helps achieve mission and/or annual goals.
- Assist in implementing a proactive media strategy that tells the hospital story, with special focus on THA-led efforts and projects and the impact of that work on communities and the state, as well as THA member hospitals’ projects and/or crisis situations as needed through traditional and social media channels as well.
- Create a pitch calendar, pitch positive hospital stories and stories on important THA issues to news media and track media mentions.
- Work with the senior vice president of government affairs and vice president of marketing and communications to support communications activity relevant to legislative priorities.
- Assist the VP in developing communications, outreach and advocacy campaigns for special projects and initiatives.
- Develop framework for review and approval of Association media communications for consistency in messaging, presentation and adherence to style and publication guidelines.
- Coordinate advertising and PR efforts, such as TV appearances and advertorials.
- Assist the VP with creation and distribution of a monthly Hospital Communications group newsletter.
- Ensure talking points and other materials are distributed to the Hospital Communications group.
- Work with the VP to create pre- and post-THA board meeting communications to be sent to communications leads at THA Board member hospitals.
- Draft summaries for awards and schedule Awards Committee meetings and create and print meeting materials.
- Maintain Emma distribution lists and handle Emma emails.
- Using approved social media calendar, create posts and share them on THA social media pages.
- Engage with THA members on social media daily.
- Draft scripts for THA videos and vlogs.
- Must be available in the office during regular office hours unless job responsibilities require otherwise.
- Must be available for out of town travel approximately 5 percent of the time, including overnight, be able to drive an automobile and maintain a valid driver’s license.
- Work with the VP to plan and execute the monthly meeting for associate management, administrative, internal services and member services staff.
- Create content for internal staff updates and distribute to staff.
- Create and maintain a quarterly THA website content review and update process with internal department content owners.
MARGINAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Participate in national, regional and state groups specializing in the areas above.
ORGANIZATIONAL STRUCTURE: (Positions reporting directly to you, if any, and their areas of responsibility)
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
The Tennessee Hospital Association (THA) is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against applicants or employees on the basis of race; color; creed; religion; sex; age; national origin; citizenship status; ancestry; pregnancy; sexual orientation; gender identity or expression; genetic information; or past, present or future membership in a U. S. Uniformed Service. In addition, THA does not discriminate against qualified individuals with physical, visual or mental disabilities. Also, THA does not discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, however, an exception exists where the employee or applicant makes the disclosure based on information obtained in the course of performing their essential job functions.
Educational and experience Requirements Needed to Perform the Duties of the Job:
- A bachelor’s degree is required.
- A minimum of five years’ experience in communications is required.
- A minimum of three years’ experience in the healthcare industry is preferred.
Skills Required to Perform the Duties of the Job:
- Familiarity with the workings of an association, including education, communications, policy and customer service.
- The ability to prepare and deliver effective presentations to the public and interested groups.
- Coordinate communications efforts with multiple people to achieve success in corporate and other goals.
- Assess needs, plan, implement, manage and evaluate programs.
- Manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Attend to details, manage and coordinate complex projects.
- Communicate well verbally and in writing.
- Work effectively with internal staff, external groups and consultants.
- Receive and process multiple inquiries simultaneously.
- Demonstrate accountability for work processes and outcomes.
- Broad experience in social media platforms, such as Linked In, Instagram, Facebook, Twitter and YouTube.
- Working knowledge of Hootsuite, InDesign, Canva, Emma and/or other social media tools.
Medical, dental, vision and life insurance
Short- and long-term disability coverage
How to Apply
Please submit your resume online at: https://recruiting.paylocity.com/Recruiting/Jobs/Details/301760.
- Date Posted: June 25, 2020
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Communications / Marketing / PR
- Service Area: Health (Physical, Mental)
- Working Hours: 40 hrs/wk