Director of Operations
Tennessee has been making significant progress in advancing a bold education reform plan over the last decade and is now a leader in the nation in dramatically improving student achievement. Tennessee is among the fastest improving states for student achievement according to the Nation’s Report Card.
While Tennessee has made significant gains, there is still much to do – in K-12 education, in college and career readiness, and in postsecondary completion. The State Collaborative on Reforming Education (SCORE) plays a critical role in advancing student achievement, aligning K-12 and postsecondary, and ensuring that all students can achieve career and life success. We work to monitor statewide progress in support of a prioritized agenda that drives collaboration on policy while generating proof points and providing targeted support for implementation across the state.
SCORE is an independent, nonprofit, and nonpartisan organization founded by former US Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist and is dedicated to the goal that all students can achieve success in college, career, and life. SCORE supports student success in public schools across Tennessee by ensuring all schools and systems meet high expectations; preparing, recruiting, supporting, and retaining excellent teachers and leaders; and aligning K-12 and college with career and life success.
SCORE is based at Vanderbilt University’s John Seigenthaler Center. For more information on SCORE, please visit www.tnscore.org.
OVERVIEW OF THE POSITION
The Director of Operations will play a critical role in advancing the organization’s work. This individual will be responsible for managing critical infrastructure, including partnering with the Vice President of Finance and Operations to research and implement processes regarding talent development and team supports, supporting the management of the organization’s HR function, overseeing the IT and technology function, overseeing the organization’s event management function, and ensuring the office environment and business operations supports are conducive to the SCORE team doing its best work. This role requires a detail-oriented individual with a passion for ensuring that the organization has the infrastructure needed to be best in class among nonprofits.
The Director of Operations will report to the Vice President of Finance and Operations. This position is located in Nashville, TN.
- Support the Vice President of Finance and Operations in growing the organization’s HR function, including:
- Supporting the performance management process.
- Researching and implementing team member professional development opportunities; partnering with Leadership Team to develop and execute a team learning agenda.
- Recruiting and onboarding new employees.
- Supporting the annual open enrollment process.
- Manage both the Events and Special Projects Manager and Administrative Coordinator, including team capacity, coaching, professional development, and performance management to ensure goals are met.
Office & Technology
- Determine office space needs; identify/execute any changes to the current office space or identify new office space for the organization.
- Oversee IT-related function, including ensuring team members have adequate technology to perform their roles, overseeing a process to implement a new phone system, overseeing a process to implement technology that supports remote work, and determining and executing the transition to an effective CRM system.
- Oversee office management, office supply procurement, and the relationship with the building in which SCORE is located.
Events & Project Management
- Partner with Events & Special Projects Manager to support successful execution of all SCORE meetings, convenings, and events.
- Manage corporate calendar and oversee overall logistics, travel arrangements, SCORE Team Retreat, holiday celebrations and other day-to-day operational requirements.
- Provide capacity and project management support when needed in programmatic and supporting functions.
- Support internal communication and cross-collaboration among all team members.
- Identify opportunities for improvement and deploy new processes, systems, and tools.
- Develop, track, and report key performance indicators for key areas of responsibility.
- Partner with the Vice President of Finance and Operations and other members of Leadership Team in special projects as assigned.
- A bachelor’s degree is the minimum education level required.
- Business operations or other related experience required.
- Management experience required.
- Candidates must have a passion for SCORE’s mission and a drive to dramatically improve outcomes for students in Tennessee.
- Candidates must have demonstrated success in project management.
- Candidates must have proven experience managing multiple tasks simultaneously in a fast-paced, rapid-growth, high-intensity, and intellectually-demanding environment.
- Candidates must demonstrate an extraordinarily high attention to detail.
- Candidates must demonstrate the ability to think in innovative ways and the ability to maintain an internal customer-service orientation.
- Candidates must have a strong command of technology and an interest in effective utilization of technology.
- Candidates must be able to problem-solve in the moment and proactively consult and communicate with other team members and external partners as appropriate.
SCORE deeply values team members and their well-being and is proud to offer a comprehensive benefits plan. All full-time SCORE employees are eligible for benefits, including:
- Medical insurance, including access to a high-quality network with SCORE paying for most medical coverage costs; dental insurance options; vision insurance options; employer-paid disability, life insurance, and EAP benefits; access to Flexible Savings Accounts (FSA) and Health Savings Accounts (HSA) benefits
- Eligible for participation in a 401K program with employer match after one year of service
- Paid parental leave time, including paternity, maternity, and adoption leave, available after six months of service
- Paid time off, holiday office closures, and paid floating holidays
- Free on-site parking
How to Apply
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com. If you have any questions, please contact SCORE’s hiring team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY & INCLUSION
At SCORE, we are committed to creating a workplace where all team members bring their whole selves to work and thrive both personally and professionally. We deeply value collaboration, optimism, excellence, and innovation in our student-centered work and in how we work together and support each other as a team. We also believe that it is important for our team to reflect the rich diversity of students in Tennessee, and we strive to intentionally create space for diverse viewpoints to meaningfully contribute to our work.
SCORE is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants are considered for all roles without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristic or status.
- Date Posted: February 15, 2021
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Other
- Service Area: Education
- Working Hours: Office Hours are M-F 8:00am - 5:00pm