Cheekwood Estate & Gardens
Director of Marketing
Cheekwood Estate & Gardens
Work in one of the most beautiful places in Nashville! Formerly the family home of Mabel and Leslie Cheek, Cheekwood now serves the public as a botanical garden, arboretum, and museum with period rooms and art galleries. Cheekwood’s mission is to stimulate the mind and nurture the spirit, for not only our visitors, but our staff as well. We are currently seeking a strategic and mission-driven Director of Marketing to join Team Cheekwood and oversee the small, but mighty, marketing team.
The Director of Marketing will manage Cheekwood’s marketing and communication activities, with primary focus on a) meeting and exceeding revenue goals for admission b) identifying new opportunities to build awareness for Cheekwood in an increasingly data-driven and digital space and c) maximizing engagement and revenue through public programs. The Director of Marketing oversees three full-time direct reports, Communications Manager, Senior Graphic Designer, and Digital Marketing Manager.
- Develops and executes annual marketing plan and budget based on Cheekwood’s marketing strategy for audience development and strategic plan for the institution.
- Oversees advertising campaigns and collateral materials for Cheekwood’s seasonal festivals, exhibitions, and revenue-generating areas including membership, special events, rentals, educational and public programs.
- Oversees negotiation, placement, design, implementation, and distribution of multi-channel media
- Ensures Cheekwood brand and graphic standards are consistently integrated into all promotional materials.
- Oversees public relations efforts to ensure optimal and timely press coverage is coordinated with marketing efforts.
- Oversees Cheekwood’s website content and active social media, ensuring direct communication with the public and monitoring consumer-generated content.
- Tracks and provides regular updates on attendance and marketing results for Cheekwood’s Senior Team and Board of Trustees.
- Conducts ongoing visitor research, including regular surveys, to assess visitor trends, satisfaction, and marketing success. Advocates for collection of data to enhance Cheekwood’s ability to make data-driven decisions.
- Maintains local and regional media information services, serving as primary media contact and providing key messaging to staff and board.
- Works with Communications Manager to greet and facilitate on-site activities of media reporters and television crews. Serves as media spokesperson as needed.
- Manages and develops direct reports through coaching, mentorship, and other team-building practices to ensure continued new skills acquisition as well as enhancing current skills. Reports directly to the Chief External Relations Officer and supervises Communications Manager, Senior Graphic Designer, and Digital Marketing Manager.
- Represents Cheekwood at a variety of community and trade events.
- Works with and manages printers, contractors and agencies for collateral, PR, Graphic Design, and other marketing needs
- Education – B.A. in Marketing or Communications or the equivalent of this through a combination of education, training, or work experience. Advanced degree preferred.
- Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (Essential)
- Must have minimum five years marketing experience, serving in supervisory capacity
- Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Must demonstrate high level of professionalism, initiative, and ability to motivate small staff and volunteers
- Must have contacts with Nashville’s media, marketing, and advertising industries
- Must be extremely organized, yet very flexible, with the ability to manage a large volume of projects; able to work varied hours
- Must have excellent computer skills including Microsoft Office Word, Excel, Outlook; extensive experience with social media and digital marketing; work with a CRM (customer relationship management) database; Adobe Creative Suite is a plus.
- Previous experience marketing for museum, botanical garden, zoo or similar cultural organization
- Experience in tourism marketing
- Graphic design skills
Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, Short Term Disablity Insurance, Long Term Disability Insurance, 403b & ROTH 403b, AFLAC, Paid Time Off, Paid Holidays and Employee Assistance Program.
How to Apply
Please send your letter of interest and resume to Penny Bruckse, Vice President of Human Resources at Pbruckse@cheekwood.org.
Cheekwood is an equal opportunity workplace
- Date Posted: August 6, 2021
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Communications / Marketing / PR
- Service Area: Arts / Culture
- Start Date: 08/20/2021
- Working Hours: 40 hrs