Director of Fund Development
The Urban League of Middle Tennessee is looking for a full-time Director of Development to join their team in an exciting time of organizational growth and development. The role reports directly to the Vice President of Operations (VPO). Responsible for philanthropic revenue to support the organization’s nonprofit mission to improve the quality of life of the citizens of Middle Tennessee, particularly African Americans, by advocating and facilitating economically and educationally transformational programs, impacting their lives and the lives of future generations.
The Director of Development will provide the necessary vision, leadership, and fundraising skills, which will enable the nonprofit organization to achieve its annual fundraising goals. In addition, S/he will have substantial nonprofit fundraising and management experience, a talent for building relationships, and a proven track record in securing ongoing support from foundations, corporations, government, and individual donors.
- Establish the vision and strategic direction, and oversee all of the Development activities for the Agency.
- Direct and oversee the implementation of all fundraising plans and efforts, including annual appeals, major gifts, grants, foundation support, special events, etc.
- Develops strategies to secure significant ongoing sources of private/unrestricted funds to support the Agency.
- Executes innovative ways of raising increased funding from foundations, corporations, individuals, government agencies, and other sources.
- Ensures the continual development of prospect leads to support significant gift emphasis.
- Participates in critical meetings and solicitations with potential donors identified by the CEO for ongoing operations, then carries out personal solicitation calls.
- Develop and manage strategic relationships with donors, the philanthropic community, and key stakeholders and participate in community events to represent the Agency.
- Prepares and assists in preparing for the monthly board Fund Development Committee meetings. Work closely with the board Fund Development Chair.
- Develop and maintain a good working relationship with all Board members.
- Support the Board in fundraising activities, including training, material development, relationship management, and ongoing donor cultivation efforts.
- Works with the CFO and VPO on the financial components of the long-range strategic plan, ensuring financial strength with growth.
- Ensure implementation of strategic plans and related tactical plans and activities for all development efforts, including fundraising and grants; donor relations; donor record management and reporting; events; media and communications; branding; etc.
- Develop budget projections and recommend annual fundraising goals to President/CEO and the Board.
- Lead and oversee the Agency’s annual Special Events as directed by the CEO.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Business, Sales, Marketing, Communications, or related field, preferably with a Graduate Degree in Business, Marketing or related field
- 7+ years of proven experience in Nonprofit fundraising, including campaigns, major gift programs, grant writing, and reporting and event management
- Supervisory experience
- Strong interpersonal skills, especially negotiation, influencing, relationship building, and collaboration
- Ability to be authentic and approachable; and garner trust among peers, staff, donors, Board, etc.
- Proficient in donor tracking via fund development software (Little Greenlight, Charity Tracker, JazzHR, etc.)
- Ability to build relationships with diverse individuals and groups
- Strong Computer skills with Microsoft Office Suite and experience navigating within different foundation grant submission portals.
- Understand how to recognize donors through multiple platforms
- Ability to remain focused, results-oriented, and decisive
- Strategic thinking skills with sound judgment
- Excellent business writing skills
MUST embrace and exhibit personal qualities of honesty, respect, empathy, integrity, credibility, and commitment to the Urban League of Middle Tennessee’s mission. Our focus is always to operate from a STANDARD OF EXCELLENCE.
- Retirement Plan after one-year
- Paid Time Off
How to Apply
SEND RESUME AND COVER LETTER TO: URBAN LEAGUE OF MIDDLE TENNESSE Resumes@ulmt.org
NO PHONE CALLS. Applicants selected will be contacted for interviews. Applications/resumes kept on file for 6-months. Equal Opportunity Employer
- Date Posted: October 28, 2021
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Fundraising / Revenue Development
- Service Area: Community Development
- Salary Range: Salary commensurate with experience