Land Trust for Tennessee
Director of Finance
Land Trust for Tennessee
About The Land Trust for Tennessee
The Land Trust for Tennessee (“LTTN”) is a statewide, accredited non-profit land conservation organization with an office in Nashville and an office in Chattanooga. Now in its 21st year, LTTN has protected more than 135,000 acres through over 400 conservation projects across Tennessee. There are over 1,000 land trusts in the U.S., and in 2020, LTTN won the National Land Trust Excellence Award from the Land Trust Alliance. LTTN seeks a seasoned professional to join our collaborative staff and our highly-regarded board in this 30-hour per week role. The position is based in Nashville at Glen Leven Farm with a statewide focus, and offers an impactful, demanding work opportunity at one of the nation’s premiere conservation organizations.
The Director of Finance works in partnership with the LTTN Leadership Team and the Finance and Audit Committee of the LTTN Board of Directors to ensure sound financial management, maintain all financial and accounting records, establish appropriate internal controls, and ensure that LTTN is in compliance with federal, state, and local requirements and filings.
Supervisor: President & CEO
The Director of Finance is responsible for maintaining the balance sheet, including monthly reporting, fund accounting, investment accounting, banking activities, and accounts receivable and payable; the statement of activities, including contributions revenue, funds tracking, and expense allocations.
This role administers the Land Trust’s financial system (QuickBooks) including chart of accounts maintenance, actively managing multiple restricted and non-restricted fund accounts, grants, and accounts receiving funds from fundraising activities, and collaborates regularly with the development team to ensure development and finance records are accurate and in balance.
The Director of Finance creates reports that are correct, clear, timely, and helpful; and ensures that activities are recorded accurately and in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), FASB, and IRS regulations.
- Ensures that LTTN is in compliance with federal, state and local requirements and filings
- Ensures timeliness, accuracy and usefulness of financial and management reporting
- Works with the President, Vice President and the Finance and Audit Committee to produce both annual and special project budgets, and monitoring and reporting on budget compliance
- Oversees payroll and benefits and is responsible for compliant filings related to payroll and benefits
- Prepares reports for outside accounting firm to produce year-end audit and tax return (Form 990) and monitor and preserve LTTN’s tax exempt status
- Develops and maintains cash management and forecasting system and banking and investment relationships
- Supervises the Finance and Operations Manager
- Accepts other duties as assigned
Desired Skills, Qualifications, and Abilities
- Licensed CPA or a bachelor’s degree in accounting a benefit but not required
- Formal training and/or experience in non-profit fund accounting required
- 5-7 years of general ledger experience
- Sole practitioner in a small business or non-profit a plus
- Prior accounting or finance department leadership experience preferred
- Demonstrated history of personnel management and supervision required
- Proficient with technology and software – especially Microsoft Office Suite and QuickBooks
- Demonstrated judgment, highly organized, attention to detail, self-motivated, independent, and collegial
- Ability to focus in a busy office environment, and to set and manage multiple priorities
- Outstanding customer/colleague relations skills
- A valid driver’s license, insurance coverage, an acceptable driving record, and access to a dependable vehicle
- Availability to work occasional evenings and weekends, and travel on occasion
- You enjoy working with all kinds of people
- You feel a sense of accomplishment when you complete a task
- You celebrate colleagues’ achievements
- You multi-task and prioritize assignments well
- You are a detail-oriented person who also sees the big picture
- You appreciate constructive questions and coaching
- You work well with a team in a fast-paced environment
- Desirable personal attributes include: strategic, reliable, energetic, self-motivated, dedicated, team-oriented, charismatic, practical, innovative, adaptable, resilient, ethical
A generous benefits package is offered.
How to Apply
Please send resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to:
Kayla McBride, Operations & Finance Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Date Posted: April 29, 2021
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Accounting / Financial Management
- Service Area: Environment
- Salary Range: Salary is commensurate with experience.
- Working Hours: M-F / 30 hours per week