Cheekwood Estate & Gardens
Director of Facilities & Construction Management
Cheekwood Estate & Gardens
Work in one of the most beautiful places in Nashville! Formerly the family home of Mabel and Leslie Cheek, Cheekwood now serves the public as a botanical garden, arboretum, and museum with period rooms and art galleries. Cheekwood’s mission is to stimulate the mind and nurtures the spirit, for not only our visitors, but our staff as well. We are currently seeking a Director of Facilities & Construction to manage the design, planning, construction, repair, maintenance and custodial care of all historic and modern facilities and infrastructure on the 55-acre Cheekwood campus.
- Manages and oversees all levels of maintenance to structures, infrastructure and the fleet including mechanical, electrical, and plumbing systems, as well as on-road and garden vehicles.
- Initiates preventative and planned maintenance programs and evaluates facilities to identify short-term and long-term improvement needs; develops appropriate budgets and timelines for implementation plans.
- Directs an efficient work order system and manages interdepartmental communications to ensure repairs of facilities, infrastructure, and equipment meet acceptable timelines.
- Provides leadership, immediate supervision and management to the maintenance staff including development and assessment of the organizational structure needed to accomplish strategic goals.
- Develops a team culture where everyone is motivated to achieve high standards of excellence and take pride in their role as critical to the successful operation of the institution.
- Manages and oversees all contract services associated with facilities maintenance, custodial operations, and waste management to ensure timelines, budgets, and quality controls are met.
- Manages and oversees preparation of spaces and setup for in-house meetings, rental events, and special events.
- Organizes and manages direct support of internal fundraisers and garden exhibitions, especially Swan Ball, Harvest, and Holiday Lights.
- Maintains safe, well-organized, and clean work areas and storage facilities, ensuring all equipment is inventoried, properly stored and in good working order.
- Regularly evaluates the facilities condition index to prioritize deferred restoration and critical repairs.
- Functions as the primary project manager in all phases of capital construction, renovation, and repairs.
- Focuses project-related information flow to senior leadership to facilitate efficient decision-making.
- Collaborates with operations teams and Senior Leadership to coordinate and ensure construction projects and facility maintenance activities accommodate the institution’s public and special event operations.
- Ensures repairs and construction comply with applicable laws, building and safety codes and other regulations.
- Develops, monitors, and assesses annual budget for maintenance, custodial, repairs, and capital building and garden projects, overseeing expenses and payment.
- Motivates, develops, and supervises interns and volunteers working in service of facilities management.
- Insures adherence to safe workplace practices and procedures.
- Attends weekly logistics meeting and other meetings as required.
- Performs other duties, as assigned.
- Serves as an external representative of Cheekwood and engages members of the community and industry to exchange information and ideas to support individual and institutional growth.
- Maintains a constant awareness of the guest experience and makes every reasonable effort to ensure the safety and comfort of all persons moving through the Garden.
- Understands and upholds the Cheekwood Mission, Vision and Values and maintains great awareness and flexibility to accommodate and support organizational goals and operations.
Associates degree in architecture, engineering, or construction management or a minimum of five years of related practical experience in facilities and construction management; skilled in leading and challenging employees to achieve goals and foster team spirit; strong problem-solving and analytical skills; multi-tasking and interpersonal communication skills; flexible scheduling.
Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, Short Term Disablity Insurance, Long Term Disability Insurance, 403b & ROTH 403b, AFLAC, Paid Time Off, Paid Holidays and Employee Assistance Program.
How to Apply
Please send resume, and letter of interest, to Penny Bruckse, Vice President of Human Resources at Pbruckse@cheekwood.org.
Cheekwood is an equal opportunity workplace
- Date Posted: August 27, 2021
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Other
- Service Area: Arts / Culture
- Start Date: 09/13/2021
- Working Hours: Varies