Historic Travellers Rest
Director of Education and Outreach
Historic Travellers Rest
This is a full-time salaried position reporting directly to the Executive Director. The primary responsibilities of this position are to lead in the coordination of the logistics and planning of all educational programming that occurs on site, as well as to develop and implement an outreach program for the organization with the goals of fulfilling the stated mission of the site and increasing revenue.
- With the Director of Interpretation, lead department in vision and long-term strategic planning. Work with Historical Interpretation committee and Strategic Planning committee members to craft goals. Manage strategic planning objectives in relation to student programs, community programs, and outreach and public engagement. Ensure that staff work plans align with the stated goals and expectations of these committees.
- Lead in coordinating logistics of existing programs, including field trips, traveling trunks, home school groups, home school days, junior docents, hands-on-history family programs, summer camps, adult programming, and group tours. This includes communicating with participants, booking programs, managing staffing, supplies, and individual program enrollment lists, completing associated administrative paperwork, as well as facilitating the use of space on the site in a timely manner.
- Develop and implement a strategic outreach plan for the organization.
- With the Director of Interpretation, evaluate and set departmental budget and revenue goals. Work with Executive Director and Comptroller to evaluate budget and reconcile departmental expenses quarterly.
- Work with the marketing team to serve as a leading voice in the marketing of programs, as well as overall marketing efforts aimed at increasing awareness of and attendance at Historic Travellers Rest.
- Visit local schools and community centers and staff booths at appropriate venues to raise awareness and promote programs.
- Maintain positive relationships and ensure, through effective management, excellent customer service to all program participants and guests at the site.
- Coordinate education tour coverage with the Director of Interpretation.
- Coordinate daily office work in relation to tours and programs.
- Manage Education and Interpretation Department mailing lists.
- Maintain a knowledge of the current ticketing and group management software.
- Work with the Interpretation Committee of the Board of Directors.
- Act as Historic Travellers Rest Representative to museum organizations (such as SEMC, TAM, AASLH).
- The Executive Director may assign other duties related to department projects.
- Knowledge of the history of Historic Travellers Rest.
- Basic knowledge of learning styles and developmental stages for a wide variety of age groups.
- Must be able to administer and manage engaging programs for children and adults of all ages.
- Creativity, flexibility and organizational skills are essential (including scheduling, bookkeeping, multi-tasking, and excellent communication skills).
- Must follow the signed code of ethics outlined in the Personnel Policies & Procedures Manual.
- Patience and endurance to sit behind a desk, as well as to stand for extended periods of time.
- Professional and courteous manner when dealing with co-workers.
- Transportation to and from work, during scheduled working hours.
- Administrative environment encompassing offices for Sales, Development, Education-Interpretation & Volunteer Services, as well as the Business office and office of the Executive Director.
- Outdoor Environment, encompassing open-air classroom and demonstration spaces.
- Ability to sit and stand for long periods of time.
- Ability to stoop, bend, and lift a minimum of 20 pounds.
- Five years museum education experience required; management experience preferred.
- College degree, graduate degree preferred.
The candidate must have a passion for the mission of Historic Travellers Rest and the Nashville community to effectively support the programs and services that the historic site provides. The individual will be capable of quickly identifying critical issues and developing plans and programs to accomplish objectives. The successful candidate will display a level of integrity, maturity, compassion, and a leadership style that will create trust and confidence. The candidate must be energetic, positive, intelligent, and with a strong sense of team to help establish and grow the organization.
Benefits include health insurance coverage.
How to Apply
Applicants should submit a letter of interest and a current resume by email to:
Katie O’Bryan, Executive Director
Travellers Rest Historic House Museum, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer.
- Date Posted: February 11, 2020
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Administrative
- Service Area: Arts / Culture