Director of Development
Nashville CARES is seeking a dynamic and results-oriented Director of Development responsible for increasing and mobilizing resources to ensure the organization has the resources to carry out its mission of ending the HIV/AIDS epidemic in Middle Tennessee and advance its vision.
The Director of Development will work closely with the CEO, an experienced leadership team, and an engaged Board of Directors to create and execute an annual development strategy to increase support from individual donors, corporate partners and foundations while also identifying new opportunities for growth.
This is a unique opportunity to be a part of a dynamic organization at a pivotal point of growth, and to create a meaningful impact in the lives of those living with or impacted by HIV.
- Provide strategic, visionary leadership to create a development plan to achieve the charitable giving objectives and strategic plan goals of the organization
- Develop and execute strategies to nurture and grow the base of individual donors, including increasing touchpoints and exploring a planned giving program
- Develop a pipeline of new corporate sponsor and foundation prospects to support special events and campaigns
- Identify, pursue, and establish well-aligned funding partners and develop strategies to cultivate those relationships
- Organize and implement an ongoing major and planned giving program to include engaging the CEO, key staff and Board members in the solicitation process and securing major gifts
- Work with the program team to ensure alignment between program and development strategies
- Collaborate with staff on management and planning of fundraising events
- Oversee grant solicitations and foundation relations
- Establish and oversee policies and procedures needed to conduct an effective fund development program and campaign infrastructure
- Serve as the principal architect for comprehensive campaign efforts
- Manage and oversee the budget for the development program
- Authentically reflect and portray the mission and core values of Nashville CARES
- Local travel, some evenings and weekends, and participation in a variety of constituent events is expected
- Stay on top of fundraising trends and the nonprofit community
- Oversee grant seeking including research, prospecting, proposal writing and reporting requirements – pursue grant funding opportunities, and grant writing
Knowledge, Skills & Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field (Master’s preferred)
- Knowledge and skills at a level normally acquired through the completion of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in business or related field. Equivalent experience in non-profits, public policy, business development and/or relationship management as an alternative.
- 5-10 years of professional fundraising experience with demonstrated outstanding results and development leadership, preferably with organizations involved in substantial growth
- History of success in soliciting and securing major gifts is required, with preference given to candidates with experience in planning and managing comprehensive and/or capital campaigns
- Exceptional interpersonal and relationship building skills
- Knowledge of cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship strategies and techniques, particularly in the area of corporate, foundation and individual giving
- Ability to see the big picture and think strategically while also being able to execute tactical tasks
- A strong communicator with excellent writing abilities, with emphasis on clear and compelling appeals, proposals and email requests
- Strong management skills, with the ability to supervise junior development staff
- Proficient in data entry, tracking, analysis, and reporting, and familiarity with database/CRM software systems. Knowledge of Bloomerang preferred.
- Passion for the mission of Nashville CARES
- Current driver’s license, clean DMV record and vehicle liability insurance required
- Knowledge of the Nashville/Middle Tennessee philanthropic community that would support the organization’s mission is a definite asset
- Fundraising at Nashville CARES is not a 9 to 5 job and flexibility with regard to work schedule is required
- Understanding of marketing and communications strategy to increase donor cultivation and revenue generation
- Familiarity and comfort level with the use of events to impact revenue generation
- A professional and resourceful style with the ability to work independently and as a team player, to take initiative and manage multiple tasks and projects at a time
Competitive Benefits Include: Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, 403b, long term disability insurance; short term disability insurance, group life insurance, voluntary life, accident insurance and critical insurance, generous paid time off policy (27 – 37 days per year based on accruals and length of service), and 12 paid holidays.
How to Apply
- Date Posted: June 17, 2021
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Communications / Marketing / PR
- Service Area: Social / Human Services