Nashville Public Media/The Nashville Banner
Director of Development
Nashville Public Media/The Nashville Banner
Operating under Nashville Public Media, a tax exempt 501(c)(3) nonprofit incorporated in 2019 in Tennessee, Nashville Banner is relaunching as an independent, non-partisan, high-quality civic news and information publication for Nashville and Tennessee residents in order to create a more informed and engaged public. We seek a Director of Development who will report directly to the CEO and work collaboratively with the Board of Directors, Advisory Board, and a team of journalists to implement a comprehensive strategic fund development plan, which includes donor acquisition and relations, major gifts, annual memberships, grants, corporate sponsors, and special events.
The Director of Development is responsible for establishing and executing strategies to meet the short- and long-term goals for each revenue source in accordance with the Fund Development Plan. We anticipate expanding the resource development team in the near future to include a membership manager and marketing expertise. The Director of Development will be well supported by dedicated volunteers and the Nashville Banner leadership team.
The ideal candidates will have an ability to both direct their own work and collaborate as part of a team, with at least three years of experience in successful donor relationship building and acquisition, as well as demonstrate finely-tuned attention to detail and the ability to thrive in a rapidly changing environment. We are looking for someone who is passionate about Nashville Public Media/Nashville Banner’s mission and the essential role public-service journalism plays in our city and state.
- Serve as a key leadership team member and active participant in making strategic decisions regarding the organization’s revenue development and diversification strategies and hold primary responsibility for meeting revenue goals.
- Establish all campaign goals and objectives to meet overall organizational revenue goals and be held accountable for meeting them.
- Build, sustain, and manage donor relationships.
- Expand the portfolio of prospects, donors, and corporate partners through prospect research, identification and cultivation of new donors, and stewardship of current donors.
- Lead the planning and execution of special events with the support of the CEO, volunteer committees, and NPM Staff.
- Research grant prospects, prepare grant proposals, and generate related reports in collaboration with the CEO.
- Provide analysis and reports on the overall performance of fundraising campaigns and events for board meetings and applicable committee meetings, and as requested.
Donor Relations and Cultivation
- Create, implement, manage, and assess a comprehensive donor relations plan to include donor communications, gift acknowledgements, return on investment reports, annual reports, and stewardship.
- Design and implement growth and retention strategies for existing donors and opportunities to cultivate new donor relationships.
- Supervise Membership Manager position and delegate projects and assignments.
- Provide leadership and management of development, community engagement and special event committees, including recruitment of members of each.
Branding and Marketing
- Work collaboratively with the CEO to create and maintain a branding strategy.
- Coordinate and obtain compelling program client testimonial statements and videos.
- Manage social media and electronic communications strategy and implementation plan.
- Maintain an archive/file of print and digital development and marketing related materials.
- Attend and provide reports and updates for Board Meetings.
- Serve as a staff representative on strategic committees as required.
- Prioritize and pursue professional development opportunities.
Attributes of the Director of Development
- Highly motivated, strategic thinker, and experienced fundraiser with a passion for connecting people with an organization’s mission and programs.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and the ability to engage and inspire a wide range of audiences.
- High standard of professional and ethical conduct, integrity, and accountability.
- Bachelor’s Degree with at least three years’ experience in revenue development.
- Verified track record of meeting or exceeding measurable fundraising goals.
- Foundation relationship and grant writing experience.
- Ability to provide support, motivation, and direction to staff and volunteers.
- Strong project management skills and ability to manage multiple priorities and projects.
- Excellent written, interpersonal and verbal communication skills.
- Superior customer service skills.
- Familiarity with Salesforce a plus.
Compensation and Benefits
- Competitive salary with a merit-based bonus structure designed to reward success.
- Medical insurance.
How to Apply
Submit cover letter and resume to Steve Cavendish, CEO – NashvilleBannerSearch@gmail.com
- Date Posted: April 9, 2021
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Fundraising / Revenue Development
- Service Area: Other
- Start Date: 06/01/2021