The Director of Communications is responsible for overseeing all aspects of external communications, with a focus on media relations, copy writing, editing, in-house publications and digital media.
- Responsible for all functions of external communications, providing oversight and guidance of institutional messaging across all platforms, including media relations, digital media, email marketing, direct mail and more.
- Provides content, guidelines, oversight and strategic direction for the Nashville Symphony’s verbal, written and digital communications.
- Create and implement PR strategies supporting all aspects of the Nashville Symphony, including but not limited to concerts, artistic initiatives, education and engagement programs, and development events.
- Cultivate relationships with local, national and international media. Maintain media contact list and organize contacts for broad and targeted PR campaigns.
- Create individual PR plans for concerts, organizational initiatives and fundraising events. Develop pitch ideas, arrange and facilitate artist interviews, and secure coverage in print media, radio, television and online media.
- Maintain Nashville Symphony press kit and resources, ensuring that all institutional bios, fact sheets, photography and other key assets are current.
- Write press releases and media alerts, along with other institutional copy as needed.
- Catalog and maintain a record of media coverage and clips, providing regular reports to key internal constituents.
- Schedule and plan events for members of the media, including press conferences and press tours.
- Manage and respond to requests for general information, photos and other assistance from members of the media, public and Nashville Symphony staff.
- Organize, produce, edit and manage content for digital and printed program guide.
- Working with the Director of Digital Media, oversee all aspects of website management, social media platform management and email marketing content.
- Working with the Art Director, oversee all aspects of graphic design and photography.
- Collaborate with Marketing team on branding strategies, including season ticket campaigns and individual concert marketing.
- Collaborate with Development team on messaging for fundraising campaigns, including Annual Campaign, Corporate Partnership and Planned Giving.
- Drafts talking points, speeches and written communications for executive staff as needed.
- Serve as a departmental representative at concerts and events, supervising media, photographers and pre-concert activities as needed.
- Embrace the mission, intention, and work of the organization in regards to Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging and take an active role to create meaningful impact for the children and adults of our community.
- Supervisory Responsibilities: The Director of Communications supervises the Art Director. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Supervisory responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems
Bachelor’s degree in communications, English, music or a related field strongly preferred
At least four years’ experience in the communications and/or marketing profession, preferably in the nonprofit sector; experience in a cultural arts organization preferred
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent planning and organizational skills
- Ability to work well with staff on timely projects and work as a team player, as well as ability to delegate and oversee completion of projects
- Ability to formulate and work on projects independently, while keeping supervisors and/or others informed of progress and of any work issues
- Excellent knowledge of MS Word, Excel, and Database Software
- Ability to analyze, problem-solve and offer solutions to issues
- Ability to keep overall goals in mind along with day-to-day functions
Medical, Dental, Vision, Life, and others
How to Apply
Please use this link to apply: https://jobs.smartrecruiters.com/NashvilleSymphony/743999753908271-director-of-communications
- Date Posted: June 16, 2021
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Communications / Marketing / PR
- Service Area: Arts / Culture