The Journey Home, Inc.
The Journey Home is seeking a creative and outgoing Development Director interested in helping our organization expand its ministry to our homeless and disadvantaged neighbors in Rutherford County, Tennessee. Founded in 2006, we’ve provided resources for basic needs, housing, life skills, faith building and coordination of care for thousands of struggling individuals and families in an effort to bring hope and encouragement on their journey to wholeness, economic stability and reintegration into community life.
We are a faith-based organization looking for a person who is passionate about serving God through their work and relationships, has a heart of compassion and service for individuals and families who are struggling with complex issues related to homelessness, hopelessness and poverty, and is driven to invite others in the community to get involved and become part of the solution.
Change happens through people and our relationships with one another. Our programs meet those in need where they are with stabilizing services and provide opportunities for transition into mainstream community life with safe, affordable housing, opportunities for employment and income, and supportive services that assist in overcoming obstacles and lay foundations for greater self-determination. We are a leader in the efforts to address these issues in Rutherford County. Our new Development Director will build on our established efforts, offering new and improved ways to engage our community and create champions for the cause and those we serve.
The Development Director is responsible for the organization’s fundraising, volunteer engagement and communication efforts. The Development Director reports to the Executive Director as part of the senior leadership team. As a part of that team, the Development Director leads the creation, implementation and management of fundraising, public relations, and marketing strategies/initiatives with primary focus on participation and giving at the individual, church, and business level, major gifts, private foundation grants, and special events.
The Development Director works closely with the board and other staff to ensure the development plan supports the vision, mission and programs of the organization and the financial health of the organization. The position is full-time and will include some weekend and evening hours, as necessary, given its work with volunteers, donors, community leaders and organizations.
The Development Director will:
- Assure that the organization has a short and long-range development strategy to achieve its mission which engages people and creates the opportunity for them to grow in their service and commitment
- Develop and manage the marketing/fundraising plan and calendar as well as budgetary needs
- With the Board Development Committee, plan fundraising events, major gift and systematic giving initiatives, including measureable goals and objectives, to increase giving and community support
- Develop relationships with key church, business and community leaders in order to advance our mission support and ensure the time of the Executive Director is used effectively on fundraising
- Secure event sponsors, co-chairs, honorees, and speakers. Analyze fundraising event efforts and suggest ways to improve and keep fresh
- Research, cultivate and solicit grant funding from a broad array of private and public funders
- Manage direct-mail and social media appeals, newsletters, and other communication
- Meet with prospective and current donors, retain and increase giving among existing donors and expand donor base to support organization’s mission and budget needs
- Conduct follow-up to ensure pledges are fulfilled, donors are thanked, and supporters can become more involved with The Journey Home
- Assist in donor database management, developing donor files, noting correspondence, etc.
- Ensure timely reporting to foundations and granters and work with operations staff to make sure we stay on track with deliverables
- Oversee production of marketing tools that increase visibility and understanding of TJH and create a consistent message that key staff, volunteers and board members can communicate
- Network at community meetings to cultivate interest in TJH and identify opportunities and best practices from among similar organizations
- Recruit and engage new volunteers and work with volunteer coordinators and staff to develop meaningful ways for the community to participate in our mission and work
- Mentor/supervise volunteers, staff and interns that are working on development activities
- Perform other related duties as requested
- A bachelor’s degree and one or more years of development, fundraising, sales, marketing or public relations experience (experience with non-profit organizations preferred but not required)
- Demonstrated ability to develop programs and execute plans to achieve goals
- Outgoing demeanor and strong leadership qualities to engage and motivate people
- Passion for the mission and commitment to the guiding principles and values of the organization
- Knowledge and understanding of fundraising strategies, traditional instruments and social media
- Persuasive written and oral communication skills
- Strong organizational skills: planning, program design, team building, project management
- Maturity and self-confidence necessary to be a primary spokesperson to the community at-large
- An affinity for collaboration but the ability to take initiative and work independently as well
- Determination and persistence while having fun and bringing positive energy to the organization
- Solid computer/technology skills, experience using Salesforce beneficial
- Established relationships with organizations and networks in our local community preferred
Paid holidays, vacation, and other paid time off
Performance incentive program
We do not have healthcare benefits at this time
How to Apply
Please send cover letter, resume and salary requirements to sfoster@LoveGodServePeople.org. In your letter, please indicate why you feel this opportunity is a good one for you and how your experiences may uniquely qualify you for the position. Resumes will be reviewed as they are received, and the position will be open until it is filled.
- Date Posted: February 11, 2020
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Executive Leadership
- Service Area: Children / Youth
- Salary Range: 40,000 - 50,000