Development and Fundraising Leader
National Museum of African American Music
The Development and Fundraising Leader will direct strategic fundraising and creative relationship development. The incumbent will provide leadership to an integrated team of development professionals. Conceive and successfully implement innovative advancement initiatives that support mission driven goals. Achieve measurable objectives resulting in significantly increased levels of philanthropic support, diversified funding streams from innovative programs and broad institutional exposure to drive public awareness and preference to strengthen NMAAM. Facilitate developing strategies for grants, unrestricted, and endowment development; penetrating niche groups nationally and, ideally, ties and relationships in middle Tennessee.
NMAAM is the only museum dedicated to preserving the legacy and celebrating the accomplishments of the many music genres created, influenced, or inspired by African Americans. The Museum will share the story of the American Soundtrack, integrating history and interactive technology to bring the musical heroes of the past into the present. This is a developing leadership role for one who is equally comfortable with big picture strategic planning and rolling up sleeves to dig into the detail.
Strategic Vision and Leadership
- Serve as a member of, and senior advisor to, the CEO and executive team to provide advice and counsel on a wide range of matters, including long-range planning, and coalition building.
- Develop, maintain and enhance effective working relationships with senior team and Board members.
- Serve as a key leadership team member and an active participant in making strategic decisions affecting NMAAM, forging new relationships to build visibility, impact, and financial resources and strengthening fundraising capacity.
- Actively create, lead and execute development plans that utilize best practices in annual, major, and planned gift programs to meet fundraising goals.
- Cultivate donor prospects in the philanthropic, corporate, and music communities in Middle-Tennessee and nationally
- Work closely with the CEO in all phases of advancement and campaign leadership activities.
- Able to close prospects and steward to increased giving.
- Maintain a dynamic portfolio of major gift prospects in all phases of qualification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship.
- Execute existing campaign plans and create future campaign initiatives
- Design and implement a comprehensive plan for developing key external alliances by cultivating individual and philanthropic support.
- Establish and implement the infrastructure needed to grow the fundraising budget through the solicitation of major gifts, federal and state grants, special events, and corporate and foundation support.
- Expand and diversify NMAAM’s donor base/pipeline and work closely with other team members to secure funding for new initiatives.
- Work closely with the Board of Directors and support board members as they take on a more active fundraising role.
Marketing and Sales
- Closely work with the Vice President of Brand and Partnerships and the Marketing Department staff to insure effective and consistent internal and external messaging and methods of communication.
- Provide leadership in promoting the brand, expanding opportunities to promote the historic significance of the NMAAM story through development efforts.
- Participate in strategic discussions and develop programs to strengthen the financial resources of NMAAM.
- Working with direct reports, develop annual plans and budgets for gift planning, development, annual fund development and capital campaigns.
- Analyze ongoing initiatives to ensure effectiveness and recalibrate when necessary to ensure upward trajectory of revenue growth and increased public engagement.
- Provide and present statistical analysis including monthly progress reports.
- Identify, develop, and mentor team.
- Direct, coach, evaluate and inspire staff toward accountable, goal-oriented outcomes.
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s preferred.
- Ten-plus years of professional experience in a museum of similarly complex nonprofit organization; demonstrated success in driving institutional success through development initiatives; marketing experience is a plus.
- Knowledge of the music industry and how to move in that environment preferred.
- Tangible experience of having closed, expanded and cultivated existing donor relationships over time.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral; ability to influence and engage a wide range of audiences and build long-term relationships.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Flexible and adaptable style; a leader who can positively impact both strategic and tactical initiatives.
- High energy and passion for the NMAAM mission is essential.
- Ability to construct, articulate, and implement strategic plans.
- Strong organizational and time management skills with exceptional attention to detail.
- Customer focus and follow through.
- A professional and resourceful style; the ability to work independently and as a team player, to take initiative, and to manage multiple tasks and projects.
- Excellent computer skills including experience working with Microsoft Office, data bases and multimedia communication.
All Staff Duties:
- Serves as leader to assure strong communications between NMAAM and all external constituents.
- Actively seeks to learn the history of NMAAM.
- Supports and promotes the museum’s mission.
- Assist in the planning and implementation of special events.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Some evening and weekend work is required
- Travel 20 – 30%
- In-depth knowledge of fundraising strategies
- Proven leadership and management capabilities
- Able to schedule and complete multiple short term and long term objectives
- Supports the mission, vision and strategic goals of NMAAM to serve both internal and external customers.
- Conducts self in a professional manner; maintains appropriate professional appearance.
- Follows and supports policies and procedures of NMAAM.
- Evaluates own performance and assumes responsibility for professional development.
- Participates as a team member utilizing a collaborative style to achieve mutual goals.
- Provides proactive, creative cross-functional thinking and ideas to enhance service to customers.
- Demonstrates ability to work effectively with others; maintains confidentiality.
- Accuracy and attention to detail.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Interpersonal, organizational, time management and leadership skills.
- Creativity and self-initiative.
- An ongoing commitment to training in both areas of soft and technical skills to maintain current skills and knowledge.
- Ability to gain the confidence and respect of donors, board members, and staff.
NMAAM offers a full array of competitive benefits including medical, dental and vision coverage with a matched 401(k).
How to Apply
To apply, please email your cover letter with salary history and your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Date Posted: January 4, 2021
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Fundraising / Revenue Development
- Service Area: Arts / Culture