East End Prep
Dean of Academics – Humanities, Grades 3-5 (2020-21 School Year)
East End Prep
East End Prep is looking for visionary leaders with exceptionally high expectations for students combined with a “whatever it takes” attitude toward students’ meeting those expectations to serve on the upper elementary school team leadership team. Located in the heart of East Nashville, East End Prep is empowering K-8 students with the habits, skills, and knowledge necessary to excel at high levels in high school, and complete the college degree of their choice. At East End Prep, we are built on the firm belief that great teachers given the right tools and support to perform on a high level and “work their magic” in the classroom is the key to long term, sustainable student and school success.
Joining the team at East End Prep in 2020, nine years after opening in kindergarten and after three completed years of middle school provides an ideal opportunity to build on East End Prep’s strong foundation of student achievement and overall success to continue East End Prep’s relentless commitment to excellence. In this role, you have the great opportunity to build on this success and lead an exceptional group of educators, scholars, and families to be a top performing K-8 school.
SUMMARY: The Dean of Academics of 3rd-5th grade Humanities (Literacy & Social Studies) will develop and lead the vision for excellent reading, writing, and social studies instruction in grades 3-5 while working closely with the team of Dean of Academics from other grade levels and content areas to create and maintain a vertically and horizontally aligned vision for Curriculum and Instruction at East End Prep. The Dean of Academics of 3rd-5th grade Humanities is responsible for coaching and developing all 3rd-5th grade Literacy teachers and social studies teachers as well as the 3-5 Reading specialist to deliver aligned, consistent, and rigorous reading and writing instruction that drives high student achievement.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES include, but are not limited to:
- Lead and implement the vision and systems for high quality, rigorous reading, writing, and social studies instruction across grades 3-5.
- Maintain a strong and inspiring independent reading culture and related support systems.
- Lead EEP’s implementation of our procured curriculum including leading unpacking of scope and sequences and unit plans, lesson internalization, and observing and providing feedback on teachers’ implementation of curriculum.
- Lead professional development sessions on reading and writing curriculum and pedagogy for leaders and teachers.
- Fully oversee the professional development, instructional coaching, and teacher, staff, and leader development related to the 3-5 English Language Arts & Social Studies programs.
- Observe instruction across grade levels and support and coach teachers to deliver high quality, aligned, and rigorous reading and writing instruction.
- Create and maintain systems of data driven instruction to ensure teachers use data to drive reading and writing instruction.
- A minimum of 3 years teaching experience preferred with demonstrated track record of high student achievement;
- A minimum of 2 years of experience in a management or leadership capacity preferred;
- Demonstrated ability to coach teachers to improve student achievement by setting clear goals, consistent development, active coaching and support, and providing actionable steps to improving performance;
- Experience managing a team of high performing teachers through setting goals, communicating clear expectations, and providing timely feedback and support;
- Demonstrated ability to speak and write clearly, succinctly and persuasively such that expectations are clear, timelines are delineated, and excellence is defined;
- Ability to manage multiple priorities from a variety of sources, organizing and prioritizing effectively to impact areas of greatest need;
- Experience organizing and facilitating effective meetings;
- Ability to deconstruct complex problems and develop coherent, actionable strategies;
- A bachelor’s degree with a preference for a graduate degree in a related field.
CERTIFICATES and LICENSES
Tennessee Teacher Certification
Salary is competitive and commensurate based on experience. Compensation at East End Prep includes a comprehensive benefits package.
How to Apply
Apply online at www.marthaobryan.org/careers
- Date Posted: February 28, 2020
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Educator
- Service Area: Education