Cumberland Heights/ARCH Academy
Counselor for Youth
Cumberland Heights/ARCH Academy
POSITION SUMMARY The Counselor provides psycho-education and structured group and individual counseling and/or therapy to patients and/or families impacted by substance use disorders. This position identifies problems and solutions and develops a foundation for the recovery process through counseling. This position coordinates with assigned Case Manager to develop treatment plans.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include some or all of the following:
- Maintains caseload of patients and coordinates their care.
- Diagnoses substance use disorders and/or other co-occurring psychiatric disorders within scope of practice defined by licensure and clinical privileges
- Facilitates individual, group and family counseling and/or therapy sessions, within scope of practice defined by licensure and clinical privileges
- Assesses clinical problems and develops treatment plan, in conjunction with the patient.
- Documents clinical activities in patient record according to established policies and procedures.
- Participates in daily and weekly team meetings and treatment plan review.
- Provides educational components relative to addiction and recovery to patients and families.
- Communicates regularly with family members, Employee Assistance Professionals, physicians, referrals, judges, probation officers, etc. regarding treatment progress and continuing care needs.
- In conjunction with clinical team, assists in monitoring and managing patient community as a therapeutic milieu.
- Intervenes in crises to deescalate situation and resolve crises, using events as entries into therapeutic process for patient.
- Performs CPR and First Aid as needed
- Provides clinical supervision for associate counselors and clinical assistant staff within scope of practice defined by licensure and clinical privileges
- Serves on a variety of administrative and quality management teams as clinical representative.
- Represents Cumberland Heights at outside professional meetings as needed, including presentations and marketing/development activities.
- Documents pertinent clinical information into the electronic patient record.
- Ensures that a welcoming, safe and healing environment is maintained for each patient and family throughout the continuum of care.
- Recommends ways to improve the quality and delivery of services.
- Ensures proper handling and distribution of company funds.
- Maintains confidentiality of company and patient information.
- Reacts productively to change.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE Master’s Degree or LADAC required; LCSW, LPC, MHSP, or equivalency preferred. Three years experience involving addictions related treatment with a minimum of one (1) year experience involving age/population specific addiction treatment; and/or equivalent experience in job related activities
OTHER SKILLS Ability to lift up to 20 pounds; ability to push/pull up to 40 pounds; ability to speak, hear, see, sit, walk, stand, reach and handle; ability to speak, read and write in English; excellent interpersonal skills; good problem-solving and analytical skills; excellent written and oral communication skills; good dexterity; proficient in use of Word, Outlook, SATIS and office equipment; driver’s license with F endorsement; understanding of 12 Step programs and philosophy; CPI, CPR/First Aid certified or eligible; active listening skills; ability to maintain a therapeutic environment using a variety of behavior management skills; ability to deescalate a person in crisis in a calm and supportive manner; knowledge of and ability to apply information regarding cultural/age/population specific characteristics to patient care in assigned area.
WORK ENVIRONMENT Position is in an office setting that involves everyday risks or discomforts requiring normal safety precautions. Position may be subject to night and/or weekend work. Position may have direct contact with adolescents with behavior problems (aggressive, volatile, threatening, etc.). Position may be subject to local travel to courts, jails and other sites
Discussed during interview
How to Apply
Please visit our website to apply @ cumberlandheights.org
- Date Posted: November 19, 2020
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Clinician
- Service Area: Children / Youth