Costumer Shop Manager
The Costume Shop Manager’s main focus is to oversee the design, creation and execution of all costumes for all Company, NB2 and School of Nashville Ballet productions including, but not limited to, financial planning and oversight, management of first hand, wardrobe supervisor, cutters and stitchers, logistical coordination, and serving as liaison to the artistic staff and dancers. The Costume Shop Manager works closely with the Artistic Director, Associate Artistic Director, and Director of Production to coordinate all costume needs well in advance of each production for the main Company, NB2 and School of Nashville Ballet. Design opportunities available.
- The Costume Shop Manager shall be responsible for all aspects of costumes, accessories, and costume props for Nashville Ballet Company and NB2 performances. It is understood that the goal of the Costume Shop Manager shall be to help create and maintain the vision of the Artistic Director, choreographer, and designers while providing a safe working environment for the dancers and crew.
- Works as liaison between Designer and Costume Shop to maintain artistic intent within the financial and time resources.
- Assist in the creation of upcoming costume budget projections; regular monitoring of budget throughout the season.
- Preparation and upkeep of all paperwork with regards to the costume shop: inventories, costume plots, accessory lists, show bibles, etc.; or assisting guest designers as needed with paperwork for archival purposes.
- Attendance at production meetings and enough studio rehearsals to have a working knowledge of the performances; attendance at technical rehearsals and performances as assigned.
- Managerial responsibilities include hiring and supervising staff (in-house and for the theater) and creating work assignments for costume shop personnel, backstage dressers, and costume assistants with performance deadlines and efficiency in mind.
- The Costume Shop Manager will be responsible for overseeing the pulling, restocking, fitting and altering costumes for all appearances, photo shoots, recitals and other events for marketing, special events, the School of Nashville Ballet, and community engagement.
- Responsible for the organization and maintenance of the costume shop, including all equipment and costume storage.
- Managing all incoming and outgoing rentals of costumes.
- Ordering of supplies, materials and notions in a timely manner to keep the costume shop operating efficiently.
Education: Minimum of MA or MFA in costuming or similar arts education or equivalent professional experience to be considered an expert in this field.
- Advanced knowledge of the costume construction, fitting and alterations
- Able to direct costume shop personnel, backstage dressers and costume assistants and communicate effectively the requirements of each production
- Demonstrated proficiency in flat patterning and draping
- Knowledge of a variety of costume construction techniques
- Knowledge and experience in both men’s and women’s tailoring techniques
- Understanding of period shape and how to adapt it to theatrical costumes
- Experience working with and patterning for stretch fabrics
- Good working knowledge of costume history as well as fabric types and uses
- Excellent hand and machine sewing techniques
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize and reprioritize.
- Working knowledge or various sewing machine, sergers and other tools of the trade.
- Basic shoe painting and dyeing.
- Costume design experience (preferred)
- Proficiency in Word, Excel and Outlook.
Experience: minimum of 5 years in a costuming position with supervisory responsibility.
Equipment: Knowledge of various sewing machine and tools used in a costume shop and the safe use of each. Basic knowledge of general office equipment.
Health/dental/vision insurance, 401k, paid vacation and sick time
How to Apply
Please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Costume Shop Manager” in the subject line. No phone calls, please.
- Date Posted: June 3, 2021
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Other
- Service Area: Arts / Culture