Tennessee Education Association
Controller and Business Manager
Tennessee Education Association
The Tennessee Education Association (TEA) is seeking qualified applicants for the position of Controller. The candidate who fills this position will be responsible for managing all financial and administrative activities of TEA. The activities include accounting and financial reporting, audit preparation, regulatory compliance cash management, and payroll and employee benefits. This position will also manage all membership records as well as be responsible for the collection of member dues and remittance of payments to national and local affiliates.
The Controller is a direct report to the Executive Director and will work collaboratively with Executive Management and the TEA Board of Directors by providing timely reporting, logistical, and data support to ensure that Executive Management is informed of all issues affecting the Business Office and TEA.
This Controller will need to reside in or near the Nashville area and must have a valid driver’s license and reliable transportation. In this managerial leadership position candidates must be willing to travel both in and out of state and be available to work evenings and weekends.
Excellent analytical skills, attention to detail, organizational skills, punctuality and above average attendance are essential. The successful candidate must have a flexible approach for enabling organizational change and an aptitude for problem-solving along with the capacity to successfully engage with members and affiliates. The candidate must be committed to the principle of progress through collective action and will use the position to support efforts to strengthen the organization’s membership and policy agenda.
Supervise a staff of four to six.
- Be responsible for all accounting, cash management, auditing, and financial reporting functions of TEA.
- Maintain TEA membership dues records, manage the collection of dues, and facilitate dues payments from local associations to TEA and NEA.
- Provide financial and other information to Executive Management and the TEA Board of Directors. • Identify opportunities for, and potential risks to, TEA.
- Be responsible for processing payroll and administering TEA’s employee benefit programs, which include a defined benefit pension plan, a 401K plan, medical insurance, and other benefits.
- Develop and provide monthly membership reports for Executive Management and the TEA Board of Directors.
- Reconcile all membership dues payments received on a monthly basis.
- Prepare and deposit all EFT, cash and credit card deposits on a monthly basis.
- Correspond with members on routine matters.
- Manage TEA’s Dues Rebate Program.
- Participate in the annual budget process by working with Executive Management in budget preparation and budget vs actual variance analysis during the year.
- Provide quarterly financial position statements and reports for Executive Management.
- Provide training and support for local association treasurers and staff.
- File all regulatory filings in a timely manner to include TEA’s real property, federal and state taxes, and personal property returns.
- Monitor TEA’s cash and investment position. Make wire transfers and perform other Treasury functions as directed by the Executive Director or Assistant Executive Directors.
- Administer TEA’s staff pension plan to include working with active and terminated/retired employees in understanding and obtaining benefits, and the actuary on compliance matters and benefit calculations.
- Administer vendor agreements and serve as the management contact and liaison with TEA’s vendors, including vendors that provide services to maintain TEA’s physical plant and property.
- Administer TEA’s lease agreements with third parties.
- Provide collective bargaining support to the Executive Management team during negotiations.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Executive Director or his designee
Certified Public Accountant (CPA) license, Certified Management Accountant (CMA), or equivalent.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Minimum of seven (7) years of progressive experience in accounting with an extensive knowledge of financial reporting, budget preparation, regulatory compliance, and payroll and benefits administration.
- Ability to solve problems independently and make sound decisions.
- Ability to assess changing organizational needs and troubleshoot issues as they arise. • Experience leading a team to reach organizational objectives.
- Advanced skills in the use of MS-Office (i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access and Outlook) tools.
- Demonstrated ability to evaluate business processes in order to identify needs and areas for improvement for achieving organizational objectives.
- Demonstrated ability to develop standard operating procedures and write documentation needed to implement them.
- Ability to present complex financial information to an audience with varying levels of technical understanding.
- Strong organization skills demonstrated by the ability to manage staff while overseeing multiple projects simultaneously with an ability to follow through and meet deadlines.
- MBA or higher degree.
- Experience with PeopleSoft.
- Demonstrated experience in broad administrative and general office management. •
- Successful experience working in a non-profit and/or union environment.
TEA is prepared to offer a generous and competitive salary (commensurate with experience and qualifications). Excellent fringe benefits package including full family health insurance; dental, vision and life insurance; retirement and leave package.
How to Apply
Candidates who wish to apply may do so by submitting an application and resume to Executive Director, Terrance J. Gibson by emailing Jessica Holmes. Applications may be completed and submitted online at teateachers.org or sent to the attention of Jessica Holmes at firstname.lastname@example.org. Questions about the application process may be sent to Jessica Holmes via the email address above or the applicant can call TEA and ask for Jessica Holmes at 615-242- 8392.
- Date Posted: February 10, 2023
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Accounting / Financial Management
- Service Area: Education
- Salary Range: 100,000 +