First Unitarian Universalist Church of Nashville
First Unitarian Universalist Church of Nashville
The Congregational Administrator supports Church operations and should be familiar with the unique needs of a church, its administration and the technology that supports effective church operations, including financial management. This position includes detail-oriented financial, building, event, HR, and volunteer management.
The Congregational Administrator provides monthly financial reports to the Treasurer and trouble-shoots accounting problems. The Congregational Administrator assists with stewardship and fund-raising and acts as a supervisor for the FUUN Admin Team.
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by persons assigned to this job. However, these statements are not exhaustive and cannot anticipate all possible duties and requirements which may arise during the position.
- Supervise Admin Team (Communication & Membership, RE & Worship Arts Tech. Coord.)
- Supervise Childcare/Nursery Staff
- Supervise Custodian.
- Oversee and coordinate event staff (church event monitors and A/V technicians)
- Enroll and oversee office volunteers delegating responsibilities and involvement to build church community.
- Answer telephone cordially and take phone messages accurately.
- Oversee various office projects and coordinate with church committees for special projects which may include purchasing supplies, printing, and mailings.
- Order supplies as needed.
- Oversee the function of all office equipment (e.g., copiers, phones, computers, fax, printers, etc.)
- Oversee the use of building entry codes in conjunction with Membership & Communication Coordinator.
- Oversee all campus key distribution and key policies.
- Understand the specific human resources needs of a nonprofit church organization.
- Act as the office HR department and serves on the Personnel Committee as the staff liaison, communicating as needed.
- Maintain historical and current personnel files with all necessary documentation.
- Work with Lead minister and staff on updating job descriptions.
- Work with the Lead minister in organizing the annual review process, working with staff and Personnel Committee to ensure timely and accurate reviews.
- Oversee the HR functions of the church staff (e.g., assist in the orientation of new staff, run background checks on potential employees and contract workers, complete all HR and benefit paperwork).
- Ensure new hires complete employee paperwork and submit them to necessary departments, and that documentation is added on Paylocity (W4, I9, benefits, employee handbook acknowledgment, etc.)
- Serve on hiring teams, post ads, review resumes, run a pre-screening background check, and conduct interviews.
- Stay up to date with the UUA hiring/benefit protocols and communicate with Finance Committee regarding updates.
- Work closely with the Board Resources and Development Chair regarding complex human resources issues, including providing guidance, as needed, to comply with changing laws and anticipate and prevent workplace issues.
- Oversee functions related to use of the facilities. This may include explaining the church Rules of Use policies, showing facilities to potential users, scheduling events, and collecting facility user fees.
2. Oversee the scheduling of all rooms on church campus utilizing calendar program.
3. Make all room reservations for external building use.
Database and Records Management
- Utilizing the Breeze database system, maintain church databases in collaboration with Membership and Communication Coordinator and update with changes in member finances.
- Create board packets in advance of monthly Board Meetings.
- Liaise with church and accounting firm staff and vendors; and assist church volunteers as needed.
- Meet on a periodic basis with Treasurer and collect monthly signatures on expenditure approvals
- Reconcile deposits (when applicable), record and maintain records of all donations received whether by offering plate, mail, credit card, or other electronic means.
- Reconcile the monthly “Share the Plate” donations for distribution to the recipient organizations.
- Review all incoming invoices, check requests, and staff credit card usage, and ensure that payments are made accurately and timely.
- Ensure that payroll is processed timely and accurately.
- Ensure that all income and expenses are properly recorded through current and future bookkeeping processes.
- Review bank records, providing cash flow reports, and notifying accountants and Treasurer of any issues.
- Oversee Administrator credit card as well as online supplies purchasing for staff.
- Ensure subscriptions are purchased annually (Zoom, Amazon, Liquor License, etc.)
- Manage the credit card donation website(s) using Breeze database online giving and Stripe online giving through auction website Auctria.
- Prepare and mail quarterly contribution statements to members and friends and annual tax notices to all donors.
- Maintain records with UUA for compensation and benefits.
- Maintain sensitive information in confidence.
- Maintain secure access to all internet access IDs and passwords.
- Ensure all financial records are securely archived in hard copy and digital versions.
- Assist with financial aspects of stewardship drive and fund-raising events.
- Assist with special projects in collaboration with the Treasurer.
- Research and initiate virtual options of giving (Venmo and PayPal).
- Run monthly budget reports to be distributed to staff and committees.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration and/or Finance
- Experience in a bookkeeping or accounting required.
- Knowledge of accounting principles.
- Knowledge of and experience with database systems preferred.
- Must be extremely detail oriented.
- Good oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to maintain confidential data.
- Quick learner.
- Able to organize and prioritize use of time. Is an excellent multi-tasker with the ability to bring tasks to completion under time constraints and in an environment where there may be multiple interruptions.
- Experience and comfort in learning and using common technology and equipment, such as computer, copier, fax, and multi-line phone, to perform responsibilities.
- Intermediate level knowledge and skill in Intuit QuickBooks, Paylocity, and Microsoft Office Suite Products including Word, Excel, Outlook, Publisher, and PowerPoint.
- Demonstrated understanding of and ability to use developed database programs to enter data, look up information, and generate reports, as this position requires the use of a church database system.
- Experience with Breeze software application strongly preferred, though experience with other church management software would be helpful if no familiarity with Breeze.
- Able to work independently but is comfortable checking in or asking for direction when needed.
- Able to identify with a liberal church of diverse theologies, its congregation and membership.
- Must have means of transportation and appropriate insurance.
- Must be able to lift 20 lbs.
- Must have a clear background check.
- Long Term Disability & Life Insurance premiums paid 100% by employer.
- Choice of Health Insurance plans with premiums paid by employer at 80% for employee and 50% for dependents. Employer contribution of $125 per month to Health Savings Account if employee chooses a high-deductible plan option.
- Retirement plan eligible to make employee contributions from date of hire, employer contributing 10% of salary after one year of employment.
- Generous PTO.
- Professional expense, with the amount depending on budgetary considerations.
How to Apply
To apply please email a letter of interest, resume, and any supporting materials to email@example.com. Position to be filled as soon as possible.
No phone calls please
- Date Posted: September 9, 2022
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Accounting / Financial Management
- Service Area: Religious
- Start Date: 11/07/2022
- Salary Range: 50-58,000 based upon qualifications and experience and Compensation Standards of the Unitarian Universalist Association.
- Working Hours: M-F, 8:00am-4pm