The Salvation Army-Nashville Area Command
Community Relations & Development Manager
The Salvation Army-Nashville Area Command
Under the supervision of the Executive Director of Development this position plans, coordinates, implements, administers, evaluates and monitors an aggressive Community Relations and Development Program, targeting the designated geographical area of Middle Tennessee encompassing Rutherford, Cannon and Williamson Counties ; raises visibility, volunteers and monies to enable the ministry and services of The Salvation Army; coordinates and secures gifts to reach/surpass fund-raising goals established annually through the gifts generated from individuals, corporations and foundations. There is special emphasis on cause-marketing, special events, sponsorship, and mid-level donor engagement.
Development Responsibilities (60%)
- Donor fund-raising goal is established for this position under the guidance of the Divisional Development Department.
- Responsible for planning, coordinate, implement, administer, and sustain an aggressive, robust Community Relations and Development plan focused on working with current and prospective donors; foundations; Corporations and businesses; Civic Clubs; United Way; Grant Writing; and Special Events.
- Plans, coordinates, and initiates a strategy to generate gifts from individuals, corporations, and foundations for support of the programs and services of The Salvation Army; cultivates and maintains an effective method of communication with individual, corporate and foundation qualified prospects and donors.
- Establish a “caseload” of donors for cultivation and solicitation with special emphasis on special events, corporate partnerships, major donors, and mid-level donor cultivation.
- Responsible for raising funding goals as set by the Area Command.
- Coordinates, establishes, and maintains a listing of donors/prospects; ensures that all requests from donors/prospects for information and clarification are responded to in an accurate, timely and professional manner; evaluates day-to-day efforts to ensure that goals established are met and/or surpassed.
- Prepares and monitors quarterly reports illustrating progress; establishes and maintains an organized and efficient donor record-keeping system ensuring that accurate and complete records are prepared and maintained for each donor and identified prospect. The use of The Salvation Army’s CRM (constituent relationship management system) will be the required method
- Communicates with the Officer(s)-in-Charge, their boards, and committees to develop local marketable service outlines; conducts presentations to the advisory boards dealing with gift related matters.
Leadership Responsibilities (20%)
- Works closely with the Corps Officers to determine local funding needs and program and services offered for presentation to donors and prospective donors.
- Works closely with the Executive Director of Development to steward the function and growth of Advisory Organizations (Board, Councils, Committees and Women’s Auxiliary) through advisory role to committee chairs and preparing meeting materials as needed.
- Meets regularly with Advisory Organizations (Board, Councils, Committees and Women’s Auxiliary) to present current needs, opportunities, and to celebrate successes.
- With the guidance and approval of the Executive Director of Development, translates the Corps program and services vision into funding needs and effectively communicates same to CRD Team.
Daily Administration & Management Responsibilities (10 %)
- Represents The Salvation Army professionally and appropriately in a variety of settings and events. Records such representations in Interchange.
- Attends and participates in the Territorial Development Conference or other assigned and approved development conference.
- Works to ensure that all presentations, proposals, applications, and both oral and written communications meet the language standards expected and follow Salvation Army policies and procedures, and follow local, state, and federal regulations.
- Ensures entry of donor data for the assigned Donor Portfolio, including donor contact, gift, communications, and planning information into Interchange. Donor data entry must follow the approved Business Rules, Policies and Procedures for Interchange.
Community Relations/Public Relations Responsibilities (10%)
- Strengthens communication with donors, prospective donors, volunteers, media personnel, civic club leadership and corporations, maintains open and direct channels of communication including written documentation showing a personalized plan for each donor; ensures that donors are treated fairly and with sensitivity; resolves problems and responds to questions; ensures that all prospects and donors are serviced in a timely, efficient and tactful manner; ensures the accuracy and completeness of all information provided.
- Organizes media coverage and social media information for special events such as luncheons, banquets, groundbreakings, building dedications, special programs, special events and the Red Kettle program.
- Writes various articles and media releases and takes photographs in order to communicate and promote the service and progress of The Salvation Army in the community; provides articles to magazines, internet, newsletters, billboards, Speaker’s Bureau, Public Service Announcements and paid advertising for television and radio as well as drop in ads for all printed publications.
- Designs, develops, and prepares brochures, annual reports and a quarterly newsletter designed to keep donors, clients, media, and those requesting information of The Salvation Army up to date on the activities of The Salvation Army in the local area.
- Prepares and maintains records of all phone calls, correspondence, visitation, and a calendar of all contacts; receives and responds to donors and prospects mail.
- Raises visibility through coordinating with local and regional print and broadcast media; Civic Clubs; Churches; Educational Institutions; Businesses and Corporations, TSA Advisory Board and Advisory Organizations, Social Media sites [Facebook / TSA Website].
- Maintains an effective working relationship with the Regional Resource Development Director and the Planned Giving Directors by referring specific qualified prospects and sharing information that may enhance the overall effectiveness and efficiency of the Community Relations and Development Department efforts.
- Assists with seasonal program events as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of the principles and practices to interact with, and generate ongoing print and broadcast media stories, interviews, and marketing.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of individual, corporate and foundation communication techniques that will generate gifts.
- Knowledge of donor records management and administration as well as data and trend analysis.
- Ability to present a positive and professional image of The Salvation Army.
- Ability to learn by method of on-the-job training including ability to follow instructions.
- Ability to conduct the affairs of this position responsibly, efficiently, and economically, and to motivate the staff and volunteers to do likewise.
- Ability to design, plan, administer and monitor the day-to-day operations of a Regional Community Relations and Development Program and to ensure compliance to the mission of The Salvation Army.
- Ability to work with volunteer Boards and Committees.
- Ability to lead, motivate, encourage, and inspire volunteers working in activities.
- Ability to demonstrate a daily commitment to the stated vision and mission of the Resource / Development Department.
- Ability to work effectively with Divisional administration, field staff, legal counsel, and office staff.
- Ability to meet attendance requirements.
- Ability to drive a vehicle safely and travel among the region as needed.
- Ability to read, write and communicate the English language effectively.
- Ability to travel throughout the Cities area to perform public relations functions.
- Ability to spend the night away from home due to disasters, conferences, etc. as needed. (Limited)
- Ability to manage multiple projects at one time.
- Ability to have one direct supervisor but dotted lines to key internal stakeholders.
- Ability and willingness to perform all duties with an understanding of the mission, ministry, philosophy, culture, and protocol of The Salvation Army and conducts all duties in accordance with the ministry of the organization and its Christian principles; conducts all communications and job duties with the highest level of professionalism.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree, from an accredited college or university in Community Relations, Non-Profit Administration/Management, Marketing, or a related field,
- 2 years of progressively responsible experience in media relations or development functions,
- Any equivalent combination of training and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
Medical, Dental, Vision, 403b with match. Vacation, personal, and sick time.
How to Apply
Please apply through this link Regional Community Relations and Development Manager- Nashville TN – Career Portal (dayforcehcm.com)
- Date Posted: December 6, 2022
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Fundraising / Revenue Development
- Service Area: Social / Human Services
- Start Date: 02/06/2023
- Salary Range: $55,000 - $59,000
- Working Hours: 40hrs/wk; primarily 8:00am-4:30pm