A Step Ahead of Middle Tennessee
Community Outreach Specialist
A Step Ahead of Middle Tennessee
The community outreach specialist (COS) works to engage and educate the community about the organization and its services. The COS will expand awareness of, and access to A Step Ahead services with a particular focus on representing the organization to specific audiences. The COS will represent the organization at community events, health fairs, and other speaking engagements, as well as at various institutions including community colleges, trade schools, universities, community partners, and other places where young people congregate. The COS will interface with clients through the call center which connects clients to free brith control services.
A Step Ahead Foundation of Middle Tennessee offers free, long-acting reversible contraception (LARC), with the goal of preventing unplanned pregnancy. A Step Ahead improves educational, economic, and health outcomes for women and children in Middle Tennessee. By providing education about, and completely free access to long-acting reversible contraception (LARC) – the most effective, reversible methods of birth control – we enable women to plan their lives. By helping avoid unplanned pregnancies, we hope to increase positive pregnancy outcomes for both the mother and the child, lower infant mortality, and improve family life. By connecting people with effective family planning, we hope to encourage education and career opportunities for women.
Responsibilities may vary but will likely include:
- Represents A Step Ahead at the Department of Human Services offices, health fairs, churches, parks, college tables in a pleasant and knowledgeable manner
- Answers calls through the call center M-F, 8 am – 5 pm and schedules clients with appointments
- Performs community outreach and education to raise visibility and awareness of the organization
- Distributes appropriate marketing materials to locations assigned by executive director and community outreach manager
- Assists staff in identifying new speaking opportunities and partnerships
- Attends weekly staff meetings
- Prepares weekly reports of outreach conducted
- Other duties as assigned
The ideal candidate has the following skills/experience:
- Completed or working toward a college degree (junior level and up), preferably in a related field (e.g., Public Health, Social Work, Education)
- Excellent oral communication
- An understanding of reproductive health
- Experience with public speaking and presentations
- A passion for community enhancement, engagement, and empowerment
- Organizational acumen
- A motivated self-starter and capable of working alone within a few weeks of starting
- Fluent in Spanish (preferred)
- Pay is $19-23 per hour, dependent upon experience
- Monthly benefits stipend includes access to health insurance, life insurance, child care credit, and flexible spending account
- Cell phone reimbursement
- Retirement match after one year of employment
- 40 hours per week, including some evenings and weekends
- Currently, position will work from home though most work is conducted in the community. Travel will be required (within middle TN). Mileage will be reimbursed.
- Position reports to the Community Outreach Manager
How to Apply
To apply, please submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Outreach” in the subject line.
A Step Ahead Foundation of Middle Tennessee is an equal provider of services and equal opportunity employer – CRA 1964 and ADA 1990.
Posted qualifications serve as a guide for candidate review and are not fixed. A Step Ahead reserves the right to deviate from posted credentials in determining what combination of candidate education, experience, and skills are best suited to a position
- Date Posted: July 19, 2022
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Programs and Service Delivery
- Service Area: Health (Physical, Mental)
- Salary Range: $19-23/hour
- Working Hours: 40 hrs/wk, M-F with some evenings/weekends required