Community Outreach Liaison, Migrant Education Program
Position: Community Outreach Liaison, Migrant Education Program
Conexión Américas is currently looking for qualified candidates in Region 3 of Tennessee which includes Nashville, TN and the surrounding areas of Middle Tennessee.
The primary responsibility of the MEP Community Outreach Liaison is to identify recruit and enroll eligible migrant students (ages 3-21) into the MEP. The successful candidate must be fluent in English and Spanish, highly organized and must possess a thorough understanding of the region where they will work. Only candidates who can demonstrate total commitment to the mission and values of Conexión Américas and the Migrant Education Program should apply. Fluency in Spanish required and experience working with immigrant populations is preferred. Please note that part of the interview will be conducted in Spanish.
The MEP Community Outreach Liaison reports to the Statewide Identification and Recruitment Manager and is responsible for the proper identification and recruitment of eligible students in the designated counties. This is a full –time position and wages depend on experience and/or qualifications. Mileage is reimbursed for travelling required of this position.
The position requires working one to two office days a week either from home or in the home office, depending on candidates location in order to complete reporting and attend required staff meetings. The other workdays are spent on the road, driving to visit families throughout Middle Tennessee that could range anywhere from 30 minutes to three hours outside Nashville. This position requires candidates to regularly work some weekends.
The Migrant Education Program (MEP) is a program established by the United States Department of Education. Conexión Américas is responsible for the implementation of the Migrant Education Program in the state of Tennessee. The fundamental purpose of the program is to remove barriers to academic success for migrant children (ages 3-21), and to promote academic achievement.
About Conexión Américas
Conexión Américas is a Latino nonprofit organization based in Nashville, TN. Our mission at Conexión Américas is to build a welcoming community and create opportunities where Latino families can belong, contribute and succeed. Conexión Américas is an advocacy and direct-service organization. We focus on four areas of community impact: Social Integration (family engagement, youth development and English as a Second Language), Economic Integration (homeownership, micro-entrepreneurship and taxpayer education/assistance), Civic Integration (advocacy and grassroots leadership development) and Community Development (arts and placemaking).
Identification and Recruitment of Migratory Students:
● Travel to different locations throughout the region, including homes, farms, packing houses, schools, and other locations throughout the community to identify and recruit migratory students.
● Speak directly with migratory families in Spanish or English, interview them and fill out a Certificate of Eligibility form in order to see if students qualify for the program
● Follow up with referrals of potential participants from local school districts and community organizations
● Help recruit potential participants by providing information to them about the various benefits offered to enrolled children and families.
● Provide supportive services to migrant youth and families and refer migrant families and students to appropriate, health, social or legal services.
● Provide educational services such as English language lessons, life skills lessons, and more to Out of School Youth in the region.
● Participate in key Identification & Recruitment activities such as following up with Occupational Surveys from schools, supporting annual re-interview audit, the Re Enrollment of students in MEP, and registration of students for Summer Camp and Leadership Institute
● Connect with local school administrators, businesses, and other organizations in the community to identify and recruit eligible students.
● Research agricultural trends in the designated counties.
● Plan and conduct outreach in assigned counties.
● Attend community events to promote the Migrant Education Program
Data and Reporting:
● Maintain appropriate records of recruitment and other activities.
● Enter appropriate data and weekly reports in a timely manner.
● Complete Certificates of Eligibility for each student and conduct follow up with migrant families.
● Aid local service providers in verifying student enrollment and contact information
General Organization Support Duties:
● Speaks or makes presentations on behalf of Conexión Américas at events and conferences.
● Communicates in a positive and effective manner Conexión Américas’ mission and programs.
● Support other Migrant Education Program events or activities as needed
● Attends MEP staff meetings and Conexion Americas meetings and staff retreats, as well as mandatory trainings offered to the team.
Job responsibilities include but are not limited to those listed above. As with every other job at Conexión Américas, every person in the organization will assist in any way necessary to respond to new demands and to assure a cooperative environment.
Qualifications (Education and Experience):
● Excellent written and oral communication in English and Spanish required, bilingualism in Spanish required.
● Must have reliable transportation and possess a valid TN Driver’s License and automobile insurance.
● Enjoys and feels comfortable travelling and driving long distances throughout the state.
● Ability to work flexible hours, including afternoons, evenings, and weekends, required.
● Experience in jobs related to community organizing or sales a plus.
● Must feel very comfortable speaking with and approaching new people in urban and rural settings.
● Ability to work in diverse settings (schools, homes, farms, community centers).
● Experience managing and utilizing data and information to solve problems and make decisions.
● Ability to utilize technology to communicate internally and externally, prepare reports, record information, and determine program improvement.
● Must be able to attend regional and state in-service trainings and meetings.
● Must pass background check and language assessment.
● Ability to work independently, manage multiple tasks and work in a fast-paced environment with deadlines and strict timelines, required.
● Excellent computer skills, including MS Office, Google Suite, and database management, required.
● Demonstrated appreciation for Latino culture and families, as well as other immigrant and refugee groups, required.
● Experience and knowledge of nonprofit organizations’ operations, preferred.
Option to enroll in Short-term Disability, Accident, and Critical Illness Insurance
Generous Paid Time Off Package
Professional Development Opportunities
How to Apply
Please read about our mission and values on our website www.conexionamericas.org. Please email cover letter, resume, and references to: Sara Del Castillo, Director of People and Culture at firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone or in person inquiries, please.
- Date Posted: February 18, 2020
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Other
- Service Area: Children / Youth
- Start Date: 03/15/2020
- Working Hours: 40