Walk Bike Nashville
Community Outreach Coordinator
Walk Bike Nashville
Do you believe Nashville’s streets should safe, inclusive, and accessible to all? Do you believe how our streets and public spaces are used, and what they look like, should be determined by the people who live there? Do you believe that Nashvillians should be able to live full lives even if they cannot or do not drive?
Walk Bike Nashville, a 501(c)3 with a mission to make the Nashville area more walkable, bikeable, and liveable. We believe that Nashville’s streets should be safe and accessible to all, and that all Nashvillians should be able to move through our city with dignity even if they aren’t in a car.
We are seeking a Community Engagement Coordinator to join our team and lead our community engagement and education efforts. Responsibilities will include leading a community engagement project about the transportation needs and challenges along the Murfreesboro Pike; organizing community-led Open Streets, and supporting community based educational classes.
Initial projects for this role include
- Community Transportation Engagement: Develop and lead a collaborative and creative community engagement project along Murfreesboro Pike. The goal of this project is to creatively inspire and document the community’s vision for transportation and public space along Murfreesboro Pike, including existing challenges and potential improvements.
- Open Streets Nashville Outreach: Work with community partners to shape our ongoing Open Streets programs, which temporarily close streets to cars to allow residents to walk, bike, exercise, convene, and connect in the street. This position will support our events manager in organizing these events.
- Community Education: Host community education classes to promote safe bicycling and driving, and help neighborhood groups understand how to influence transportation decision making.
- Community Outreach: Develop new neighborhood partners, attend community events, and build relationships with people/groups also working to address social justice, environmental justice, public space, and transportation issues.
- Events: Work with community groups, particular those in North Nashville and along Murfreesboro Pike, to organize walks and bicycle rides.
- Volunteer Management: Identify, train and manage volunteers.
- Other programs and roles as assigned. Walk Bike Nashville is a small organization and all staff are expected to help with various elements of the organization’s work.
The successful candidate will meet the following qualifications:
- Experience: Previous employment/volunteering/experience with community organizing or similar field (movement politics, public health, education, etc)
- Knowledge: Knowledge of grassroots organizing or community outreach desired. Background in bicycling, walking or transportation not required.
- Personal Attributes:
- Desire to engage diverse communities in the transportation planning process
- Desire to ensure all Nashvillians can move through our streets safely and with dignity
- Outgoing personality and ability to build relationships and trust with diverse communities reflected along Murfreesboro Pike
- Experience in community outreach, community organizing, movement politics or other grassroots work
- Experience and comfort working in racially and economically diverse communities
- Interest in exploring issues related to social justice and the systemic racism that is reflected in our public infrastructure
- Ability to organize and empower volunteers and advocates
- Communication skills and the ability to represent Walk Bike Nashville at public meetings and events
- Clear communicator, both verbally and in writing
- Able to handle communication with public and those who may disagree with you
- Self-motivator who is able and excited to work in less structured environment
- Works independently and collaboratively
- Excellent time management skills and the ability to execute plans under tight deadlines
- Has integrity, dedication, drive, diplomacy
- Preferred Attributes (not required)
- Knowledge of or relationship with communities along Murfreesboro Pike
- Teaching ability
- Fluent in Spanish, Kurdish or Arabic
- Experience with design software (including InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop)
- Knowledge of the biking and walking community in Nashville
- Experience with or knowledge of transportation planning
Paid holiday and sick leave
Health care, Walk Bike Nashville covers 75% of premiums for full time staff.
How to Apply
Please send a resume and cover letter explain your qualifications and desire to fill this role to . We will accept applications on a rolling basis, but will not consider applications received after August 15, 2020.
- Date Posted: June 25, 2020
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Educator
- Service Area: Arts / Culture
- Start Date: 09/01/2020
- Salary Range: 32000-36000