Community Outreach and Engagement Coordinator – AmeriCorps Member
Hands On Nashville
The Community Outreach and Engagement Coordinator (Coordinator) participates in a yearlong term of AmeriCorps service (1,700 hours) supporting the Cumberland River Compact’s (Compact) mission to enhance the health and enjoyment of the Cumberland River and its tributaries through education, collaboration, and action.
The Coordinator engages the community, both urban and rural, in activities and programs that empower individuals to become better environmental stewards, and will gain experience working with nonprofits, businesses, government agencies, and community partners across Tennessee.
The Coordinator serves as part of a 23-person cohort of civic-minded individuals who receive skills training, professional development, and networking opportunities through a partnership between the Compact and the Hands On Nashville (HON) AmeriCorps Program.
- Research and develop informative topics and FAQ’s for the Compact’s blog
- Design and maintain an informative and visually appealing tabling setup to represent the Compact at community events, farmers’ markets, and other locations that reach the target audience.
- Collaborate with other environmental groups/outfitters to expand the Compact’s programs and activities beyond Nashville and further into the basin.
- Capture photo/video/audio at volunteer events and projects to better document and tell the story of the importance of the Compact’s work to the community.
- Occasionally assist other members with the promotion of volunteer events and programs through design, social media, event logistics, and needed materials.
- Assist in the production and editing of the Compact’s River Talks podcast that aims to bring educational programming to a wider audience.
Preferred Knowledge & Skills:
- Enthusiastic and creative, with experience in community engagement, partnership development, outdoor recreation, and storytelling
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- Experience with social media and tools like Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, etc.
- Passionate about environmental sustainability
- Ability to work outside, including lifting up to 50 pounds, in varying weather conditions throughout the year
- Commitment to fulfill a one-year term of service (August 17, 2020-August 8, 2021)
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Valid driver’s license and reliable access to transportation (Members will be reimbursed for service-related mileage.)
- U.S. Citizenship
- National Service Criminal History Check clearance
HON does not discriminate based on age, gender, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, disability, or other factors which deny the essential humanity of all people
- Living allowance of $17,000, paid bi-weekly throughout the term of service
- Education award of $6,095, applicable to student loans and/or future education expenses at an accredited institution, upon fulfillment of service obligations
- Healthcare coverage, if elected
- Childcare benefits, if eligible
- Professional development training and ample networking opportunities
How to Apply
Apply online at my.americorps.gov.
For more information, please contact:
The Cumberland River Compact’s mission is to enhance the health and enjoyment of the Cumberland River and its tributaries through action, education, and collaboration.
HON builds capacity for individuals and agencies to meet needs through volunteerism. The HON AmeriCorps Program is made possible through support from the Dan and Margaret Maddox Fund, Volunteer Tennessee, and participating AmeriCorps host organizations.
- Date Posted: May 14, 2020
- Type: VISTA / AmeriCorps
- Job Function: Program Management
- Service Area: Community Development
- Start Date: 08/17/2020
- Working Hours: 35-40 hrs/wk; M-F, 8:00am - 4:30pm