Urban Green Lab
Urban Green Lab
Urban Green Lab is seeking a communications coordinator to join our passionate team of educators and help us better tell the story of our mission.
Urban Green Lab
Urban Green Lab teaches communities how to live sustainably. Founded in 2009 in Nashville, Tennessee, we’re working to grow a culture of learning in Nashville that encourages all of us to make more sustainable decisions that protect our planet and society at the same time.
The Communications Coordinator for Urban Green Lab develops and coordinates all communication efforts of the organization. A part-time position at 20 hours per week, the Communications Coordinator is responsible for social media, graphic design, website content, our Lab Notes Newsletter, and other duties as assigned. The position is remote for now due to the pandemic (Read more under “Work Environment”). We’re looking for someone with great writing and creative skills, with a good nose for a story and comfortable with technology.
Percentages of effort and tasks may evolve with time.
1. Social Media (50%)
- Help execute overall communications strategy aligned with mission and message.
- Maintain social media platforms (Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, YouTube & LinkedIn) to include post design, scheduling, developing copy, and more.
- Execute social media ads under the direction of program leads.
- Design and create educational and fundraising-related content that is appropriately cited and scientifically sound as well as relevant to our mission.
- Develop the content calendar for all social accounts to market UGL’s program events and educate the public on topics of sustainability and sustainable living.
- Act as voice of the organization when interacting with supporters, stakeholders, and partnering organizations on social media platforms.
- Stay apprised of marketing trends, priorities, and changes in the local, national, and global communications landscapes.
2. Graphic Design (20%)
- Utilize UGL’s brand and style guide to guide to create content.
- Use Canva to utilize existing templates as well as create new designs for branded content for social media, training events, website, emailers, and more.
- Support the UGL team with creative needs as assigned.
3. Website Content (15%)
- Add blogs, news stories, and upcoming events to our WordPress website as assigned.
- Coordinate with volunteer writers to assign blog content.
- Edit blog content for clarity and match the voice of the organization.
- Promote website content through social channels and by sharing with partnering organizations.
4. Lab Notes Newsletter (10%)
- Use MailChimp to create bi-monthly newsletter “Lab Notes” in collaboration with program managers, including creation of graphics, text, and hyperlinks.
- Ensure mailing list is up to date, including segments for communicating appropriately with different audiences.
- Create additional supplementary email campaigns for special events such as The Big Payback, Giving Tuesday and Earth Month.
5. Other Duties (5%)
- Work together with board directors on the Marketing Committee, staff, and others to create, execute, and report on the annual Marketing plan of the organization.
- Monitor progress of all communications deliverables year-round, and present a high-level monthly performance report to the team.
- Attend regular team meetings, including weekly staff meetings.
- Other duties as assigned by leadership.
The Coordinator will spend most of their time working remotely until the pandemic social-distancing mandates are lifted. Urban Green Lab has weekly meetings held via Zoom, which may transition to in-person post-pandemic. Urban Green Lab has a flexible work environment, and all staff are expected to manage their own schedules. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities. The employee is regularly required to sit, stand, walk, talk, listen and feel, reach hands above the shoulder, occasionally stoop or crouch, and lift and/or move 10-25 pounds.
Equal Opportunity Employment
Urban Green Lab is fully committed to Equal Employment Opportunity and to attracting, retaining, developing, and promoting the most qualified employees without regard to their race, gender, color, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship status, veteran status, or any other characteristic prohibited by state or local law. Urban Green Lab welcomes applicants from a diversity of backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and ideas.
This job description is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all associated responsibilities, skills, requirements, or conditions. While intended to be accurate, it is not meant to exclude that other, different tasks may be required when circumstances change (such as during emergencies, personnel changes, workload alterations, rush jobs, or technological developments or advancements).
The successful candidate will ideally possess the following attributes and professional qualifications:
- Passionate commitment to Urban Green Lab’s mission and values
- Entrepreneurial, with a keen sense of how to sustain innovative programming
- Outstanding interpersonal and organizational skills, and high sense of integrity
- A positive, flexible attitude, intellectual curiosity, and capacity to adjust to change
- Diplomatic and discrete, with excellent community relations and listening skills
- Self-reliant, proactive, dependable, and on time – a team player to the core
- Humility and grace under pressure, a sense of humor
- At least 1 year of experience creating and scheduling professional social media content
- Grasp of sustainability (formal training a plus), and passion for educating the public
- A superior writer and editor, with a nose for storytelling among diverse audiences
- Experience using Canva, Google Drive, WordPress, and Hootsuite ideal
- Knowledge of how to source and cite credible scientific information
- Awareness of social media trends and the Nashville landscape
- A good eye for detail and design, using existing brand elements
- Outstanding organization and communication skills, and a quick learner
Salary & Benefits
This is a part non-exempt employee position. Salary for this position depends on experience. Urban Green Lab has a flexible working environment.
How to Apply
How to Apply
Please email your cover letter, resume, two writing samples (such as a sample socials post, newsletter, blog, or design piece), and three professional references (email, phone, and nature of each affiliation) to Todd Lawrence, Executive Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org. References will not be contacted without prior approval. Combine all documents into one PDF-formatted file with your full name as the file name and write “Communications Coordinator” in the email subject line. Submissions that are incomplete or sent by other means, including phone calls, will not be considered or returned. Only applicants selected for consideration will be contacted. Applications are accepted until the position is filled. All correspondence is confidential. Background check required.
- Date Posted: February 11, 2021
- Type: Part-Time
- Job Function: Communications / Marketing / PR
- Service Area: Education
- Salary Range: Hourly
- Working Hours: M-F 9-5; Urban Green Lab has a flexible working environment.