The Communications Coordinator is responsible for creating and/or overseeing the editorial, photographic, and video content to effectively communicate the mission and impact of BrightStone; market or publicize BrightStone products and events; and persuasively engage all stakeholders to encourage support of BrightStone. Content includes newsletters, brochures, flyers, donor appeals and acknowledgement letters, press releases, web updates, e-blasts and social media. S/he will work collaboratively with the Advancement Department and external graphic designers (as needed) and internal staff to support donor appeals, event promotions and donor stewardship. The Communications Coordinator will communicate the BrightStone mission and vision uplifting individuals with special needs and the BrightStone culture and will be a critical member of any campaign team.
This is a part-time position paid hourly and will require a regular schedule working in Franklin at our offices in addition to working remotely when you are not scheduled to be in the office. To be considered, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and share why you are seeking a part-time position; and include your current mailing address. We would especially like to know if you have any prior experience working for an organization that works with the special needs community or if you have someone in your family with special needs. We will not respond to candidates that do not send this requested information.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Publications (Newsletters, brochures, invitations, postcards, flyers, annual reports, stationary)
1. Develops a yearly communication plan with Director of Advancement for Executive Director approval.
2. Works with the Advancement team to support communications with donors and leadership.
3. Produces all print or digital publications in accordance to annual communications calendar and meets all mail dates.
4. Schedules planning meetings at least 60 to 90 days in advance of publication print or mail date to develop theme, topics, and content.
5. Supports the Advancement Team and Event Coordinator in donor communications and mailings, including digital, print and web platforms with approval.
6. Writes, edits and proofs all editorial content for accurate grammar, punctuation, and special needs acceptable etiquette; captures photos and videos; coordinates approvals; provides all approved content to graphic designer; and insures schedules and production deadlines are met.
7. Obtains quotes; manages editorial, design and print process from start to finish approving production proofs; approves logos, colors, fonts, etc. to consistently maintain the BrightStone brand.
8. Documents projects, purchase order process, mail dates, print quantities, and vendors used; maintains archive of all final print pieces.
1. Coordinates the creation, storage, organization and selection of all text, photos and video content; organizes content by student, classroom, event, year, etc. making retrieval logical and efficient.
2. Seeks every opportunity to capture and document testimonials, stories or quotes obtained from students, staff, donors, board members, parents, guests, volunteers, community leaders or celebrities.
3. Captures photos or videos of students, guests, and staff shown in all areas of the BrightStone facility and program including the bus, out in the community, at the new property, and during special presentations; obtains permissions and identifies names with photos.
4. Conducts interviews with anyone that might be a source of inspiring stories, testimonies or quotes that can be used with permission in our communications; captures related photos or videos.
5. Contracts and plans use of photographer or videographer with approval and as needed and oversee work.
1. Drafts website content and submits to Director for approval; updates website using WordPress or directs contracted web support to insure accuracy and timeliness at all times with updated text, lists, links, menus, staff, board and donor listings, news, calendars, event dates and information, wish lists, volunteer opportunities, photos and video content; and other updates as directed.
2. Assists Director of Advancement with creation of Classy.org web pages for fundraising peer-to-peer campaigns, online donation pages, and support partners participating in our fundraising events; monitors all pages set up to insure content is appropriate – reports any questionable content to Director.
1. Provides weekly social media posts to Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube, Pinterest or any other social media platform as directed; responsible for writing social media text and using appropriate photos and videos.
2. Uses social media upon approval to promote awareness of all events and activities
E-Newsletters and e-blasts
1. Submits approved written text for eblasts, e-newsletters, digital annual reports, and digital brochures or flyers.
2. Works with the Advancement Department and Event Coordinator to generate approved lists from database (Kindful); uses Constant Contact for distribution of e-newsletters and e-blasts; maintains and avoids use of “opt-out” lists.
Press Releases, Publicity and Media Relations
1. Develops and maintains dates, deadlines and contacts with media personnel at newspapers, magazines, online publications, radio, and television and all social media.
2. Develops and maintains an approved annual calendar of planned press releases to promote all fundraising benefits and other BrightStone activities.
3. Uses social media to promote awareness of all events and activities.
4. Works with Director of Advancement or external graphic design vendors to develop event or donor marketing materials and mailings.
1. Maintains a list of all BrightStone print publications, quantities on hand, and recommend reprint timing and quantities to maintain sufficient inventory of brochures, stationary, envelopes, business cards, etc. for mailings, fundraising or sales events, and general operations.
2. Maintains a hard copy archive of all print material.
- Bachelor’s degree
- A minimum of 3 to 5 years writing experience producing editorial content, photos and videos within a marketing or communications department, preferably for a nonprofit organization.
- Proven proficiency with social media platforms, Microsoft Office Suite, and WordPress.
- Experience with Adobe Photoshop and InDesign, preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required to Perform Essential Job Functions
- Passion for serving others, especially individuals with special needs.
- Willingness to work as part of a team, to meet deadlines, and find solutions to problems.
- Disposition to take direction.
- Proficient using Microsoft Office, email management, calendaring, and database entry.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; highly customer and donor centric.
- Enthusiastic and energetic team player; a self-starter with a positive outlook.
- Ability to communicate thoughts and ideas with discernment
Additional Job Functions and Expectations
- Knowledge of and enthusiasm for embracing and articulating the BrightStone mission.
- Maintain archive of press releases; direct mailings; and samples of all print publications.
- Cross train and provide back-up support for donor gift entry and gift acknowledgements.
- Periodic evening and weekend work will be required; flexibility with hours and schedule is expected.
- Maintain a file of logins, passwords, and other best practices, processes and procedures for future reference; maintained in both electronic and print formats.
Part-time positions do not offer benefits.
How to Apply
Please send your resume to email@example.com and include a cover letter.
- Date Posted: February 17, 2021
- Type: Part-Time
- Job Function: Communications / Marketing / PR
- Service Area: Social / Human Services
- Start Date: 03/01/2021
- Salary Range: DOE
- Working Hours: Flexible