ACLU of Tennessee
ACLU of Tennessee
The American Civil Liberties Union of Tennessee (ACLU-TN) is seeking a communications associate to join our team. The communications associate will play a key role in the implementation of communications strategies that 1) maximize ACLU-TN’s ability to achieve its mission and goals and 2) increase ACLU-TN’s visibility throughout the state. The communications associate will support the organization’s work by strategically communicating ACLU-TN’s initiatives and messages digitally, in print, and via other tactics.
- Draft and build e-blasts and legislative actions;
- Draft and post web content, maintain website, and track and report website metrics;
- Design and create digital graphics and infographics;
- Create digital ads;
- Identify photos and other graphics for use in digital and print publications; maintain inventory of images and assets; and ensure proper attribution; and
- Assist in content creation for social media channels (e.g,, Twitter, Instagram, Facebook) and assist with posting to social media channels.
Public Education and Resource Development:
- Write, design and layout print materials, including newsletters and annual reports;
- Design and order swag and maintain inventory;
- Write and design ads;
- Assist with preparing for and staffing tables at ACLU-TN and partner events; and
- Develop and maintain inventory of ACLU resources and coordinate their distribution.
Communications Team Support:
- Assist with planning, scheduling and implementing communications calendar, in collaboration with the director of strategic communications and other communications staff;
- Communicate with vendors;
- Manage communications inbox and share “on-call” duties to respond to inquiries during non-business hours;
- Manage e-alert subscriber database;
- Respond to inquiries made to the communications department;
- Collect and maintain photo and video release forms;
- Assist with tracking and collecting press clippings as needed;
- Assist in maintaining an up-to-date and diverse database of press contacts;
- Support tracking and response to media inquiries and speaking engagement requests as needed;
- Assist in developing internal reports on digital metrics, publications, events, etc.; and
- Other administrative tasks.
Other tasks as assigned by the director of strategic communications or executive director.
- A commitment to ACLU’s mission and to systemic equity, and an understanding that this issue is central to protecting civil liberties and civil rights for all Tennesseans;
- Exceptional writing skills;
- Strong graphic design skills (digital and print);
- Creative, results-oriented self-starter with ability to work with minimal supervision and on a team;
- Capacity to meet deadlines;
- Experience working with Microsoft Office and Adobe Creative Suite (especially Illustrator, InDesign and Photoshop);
- Knowledge of basic web design, including familiarity with WordPress and Drupal;
- Experience working with social media such as Facebook, Twitter and Instagram;
- Keen attention to detail, ability to work simultaneously on multiple projects at various stages, and good problem-solving skills;
- A positive professional attitude with sound judgment, flexibility, determination, and a good sense of humor;
- Comfortable in a fast-paced, sometimes high pressure virtual and physical office;
- Ability to communicate with a range of audiences;
- Commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion, and a personal approach that values the individual and respects differences of race, ethnicity and national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion and socio-economic status;
- An absolute commitment to the highest ethical and professional standards;
- Ability to work beyond 9 to 5 when necessary, with occasional weekends;
- Photography and/or videography skills, knowledge of Associated Press style, and ability to communicate in Spanish are pluses.
Salary is commensurate with experience and based on ACLU compensation scale. Excellent benefits offered, including 100% employer–paid comprehensive health insurance; dental, life, accidental and disability insurance; defined contribution plan (401k); vacation and holiday leave.
How to Apply
Please email PDFs of your letter of interest, resume, professional writing sample (no longer than 3 pages) and three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Communications Associate Search” in the subject line. Please indicate in your cover letter where you found the job announcement and include your name in the title of the documents that are part of your application.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and will be accepted until the position is filled, at which time the posting will be removed from the ACLU-TN/ACLU websites.
The ACLU is an equal opportunity employer and values a diverse workforce and inclusive culture. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, ethnicity, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, citizenship, disability, age, veteran status, or record of arrest or conviction.
- Date Posted: February 24, 2021
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Communications / Marketing / PR
- Service Area: Other
- Start Date: 04/01/2021
- Working Hours: 40 hrs/wk M-F 9am to 5pm