West End United Methodist Church
Church Financial Officer
West End United Methodist Church
The Church Financial Officer manages daily financial operations, prepare financial statements, and work with ministerial and lay leadership to maintain adequate cash flow to meet the church’s financial objectives. The Financial Officer is charged with overall responsibility for ensuring all financial processes comply with our documented policies and procedures, and for providing leadership to ensure the church is operating within budget.
- Provide technical financial oversight to the church.
- Drive analysis of business and ministries making certain that adequate measures are in place ensuring financial viability.
- Work in partnership with the Finance Committee and Faithful Giving Campaign to achieve financial objectives.
- Prepare monthly financial statements using ACS Technologies accounting software and reconcile all bank account activity.
- Manage ledger entries for all financial transactions.
- Oversee and coordinate the budgeting, forecasting and financial reporting processes with the Finance Committee.
- Report variances monthly to Finance Committee and each ministry area; provide monthly reporting to congregation.
- Process employee payroll and vendor invoices
- Work with HR to administer financial aspects of employee benefit programs
- Direct the annual audit process through external accounting firm
- Manage activity for Trustee endowment fund and understand legal requirements.
- Ensure all financial operations and processes are in compliance with Financial Policies and Procedures approved by the Finance Committee and Board of Trustees. Assist staff as needed in the development of procedures and tracking mechanisms that will facilitate compliance with Financial Policies and Procedures.
- Financial duties as needed to protect church assets and support church objectives.
- Attend evening committee meetings as necessary to provide financial information to lay leaders.
Skills and Knowledge:
- Self-motivated, independent worker with strong leadership and collaborative skills.
- A process-oriented and organized individual.
- Strong analytical thinking skills and ability to convey complex financial concepts to a broader audience in a concise manner.
- Excellent knowledge of standard accounting practices.
- Ability to maintain strict confidence and communicate in a professional manner.
- Ability to deal effectively and cooperatively with all types of personalities, including staff and church members.
- Ability to manage contractors, vendors, and salespeople.
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
- A desire to work in a Christian faith-centered environment.
- 5+ years of accounting experience or related field.
- Bachelors in Accounting, Finance or related business field.
- CPA preferred
- Medical insurance
- Long-term disability
- Paid time off
- Tuition discount in Preschool
How to Apply
Please visit our website at https://www.westendumc.org/church-financial-officer
West End UMC is an equal employment opportunity employer.
- Date Posted: June 15, 2022
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Accounting / Financial Management
- Service Area: Religious
- Start Date: 07/18/2022
- Salary Range: 60,000-70,000
- Working Hours: M-F/40 hrs/week