Chief Legal Counsel
Greater Nashville Regional Council
The Greater Nashville Regional Council (GNRC) is seeking an experienced attorney to provide legal advice and counsel to the organization and to manage legal staff and resources as part of the agency’s executive management team.
GNRC was established in 1965 by the TN General Assembly as an association of local governments empowered to convene local and state leaders for the purposes of planning and programming state and federal investments into a range of social services and public infrastructure. GNRC serves as the region’s federally-recognized Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO), Area Agency on Aging and Disability (AAAD), and Economic Development District (EDD). More information is available at GNRC.org.
As Chief Legal Counsel, the selected candidate will be responsible for the following duties:
- Provide general counsel and draft legal opinions at the request of the Executive Director or Executive Board;
- Develop programming and tools to ensure agency compliance with relevant state and federal laws, regulations, and contract provisions;
- Draft various policies, procedures, and monitoring tools related to hiring, procurement, and other business practices;
- Review and negotiate legal terms for contracts on behalf of the organization to include state and federal grant contracts and vendor agreements;
- Provide support to the HR Manager on matters pertaining to employee relations and employment laws, regulations, and practices;
- Assist the Executive Director and Chief Communications Officer with government affairs and legislative activities;
- Represent the agency in insurance claims or litigation;
- Represent the legal team in GNRC leadership meetings, advocating for staff and program needs;
- Work with GNRC management across the organization to ensure programs and initiatives stay coordinated;
- Lead special projects as assigned by the Executive Director; and
- Perform various administrative duties related to the management and professional development of department staff.
An active license to practice law in Tennessee along with at least 5 years of professional experience is required. The selected candidate will have experience with state and federal contracting, familiarity with municipal and county government administration, and a working knowledge of current employment law. The ideal candidate will have a clear vision for how the legal team can help position and promote GNRC as Middle Tennessee’s premier forum for cross jurisdictional and intergovernmental collaboration and policy making on matters related to economic and community development, social equity and inclusion, environmental quality, and investments in infrastructure and social services. Interested professionals should submit a cover letter describing any desired goals for the position, along with a sampling of potential strategies for achieving those goals.
Full Benefits package
How to Apply
If interested please apply at: https://gnrc.bamboohr.com/hiring/jobs
GNRC is an EOE, AA employer
- Date Posted: August 18, 2020
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Legal
- Service Area: Community Development