Certified Peer Recovery Specialist
Dismas House is a new 72-bed residential campus, offering a holistic reentry program, serving men returning to the community directly from all state prisons and county jails in Tennessee. Working from the Nashville office and under the supervision of the Clinical Director, Dismas House seeks a full-time Certified Peer Recovery Specialist (CPRS) to provide support and peer recovery services to its residents. We’re looking for a compassionate, care-driven professional who believes in helping individuals discover, plan, and live a life in recovery. The ideal candidate has experience or a passion for working with justice-involved persons and a broad knowledge of recovery support programs (12-steps, SMART, Refuge Recovery, etc.). The CPRS will work closely with and contribute
to, the Dismas Care Team (VP of programs, clinical director, case managers, admissions manager, and program coordinator) who meets weekly to discuss each resident’s progress. They must have flexibility with work hours including the ability to work some evening and weekend hours as needed
and must have a valid driver’s license, a reliable car and ability to go into Tennessee prisons and jails if needed. We would like to fill this position as soon as possible.
- Meet individually with residents as needed to assist in developing a personalized plan for recovery that meets the unique needs and strengths of that resident.
- Review progress and challenges and provide accountability for actions towards recovery.
- Meet regularly and communicate with program team to discuss residents progress and discuss best practice.
- Manage the program’s 12-step requirement process, including printing and stocking folder with meeting forms, reviewing comments, following up with residents, attend and vet potential meetings, and guide residents on obtaining sponsorship.
- Conduct random drug and alcohol tests as needed. If female, order drug tests for residents as needed.
- Communicate regularly with residents about residential policies and resident concerns, answering questions about their needs, goals and treatment plans.
- Maintain a current list of recovery resources.
- Document within Apricot each encounter with a resident that focuses on their recovery in a timely manner of by the end of the next business day.
- Attend all mandatory trainings, workshops and meetings as required.
- Assist in room searches as needed.
- Schedule and attend 12-step and other recovery meetings as needed.
- Attend and escort residents on quarterly outing(s) as needed.
- Facilitate psychoeducation groups focused on addiction and recovery topics.
- Contribute to development and facilitation of recovery programming, in collaboration with Program Coordinator and Clinical Director.
- Develop recovery events and work collaboratively with Dismas staff to facilitate events.
- Assign and review step work with each resident, for those committed to 12-step recovery programs.
- Performs other duties as assigned and needed.
- Current CPRS certification with the State of Tennessee or in the process of becoming certified.
- Associate’s or bachelor’s degree or relevant years of experience.
- Broad knowledge of available recovery programs, including but not limited to 12-Step, SMART recovery, Celebrate Recovery, Refuge Recovery.
- Ability to identify and accept a resident’s stage of change while using MI and other strategies to increase motivation for change.
- 1-3 years of related experience in recovery support services.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and a capacity to communicate effectively empathetically and with a trauma-informed approach to the clients we serve.
- Propensity to work with energy, a high degree of initiative and from a positive perspective while maintaining flexibility and attention to detail.
- Enormous passion for and commitment to the mission of Dismas House and serving and working with justice-involved persons; an understanding of prison culture desired.
- Strong organizational and administrative abilities, including increasing efficiencies around systems, procedures and protocols.
- Excellent computer skills and knowledge of database programs & Windows-based operating system. Comfortable going inside correctional facilities.
- Health benefits package through Blue Cross Blue Shield of TN.
- Vision, dental, disabilty and life insurance package is available through Guardian.
- HSA availible
- Generous vacation package
How to Apply
- Date Posted: December 15, 2021
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Programs and Service Delivery
- Service Area: Housing
- Start Date: 01/07/2022
- Salary Range: Dependent on Experience
- Working Hours: 40 hours per week