The Business Manager supports the Accounting & Finance, Human Resources and Facilities functions for PENCIL. Responsibilities are both very detail-oriented and time sensitive. The goal of this position is to help ensure the recording of sound financial data and continued strong operational infrastructure for PENCIL. Ability to quickly take direction, pay close attention to detail, and execute tasks independently are critical to success in this role.
A successful person in this role will bring knowledge of basic accounting principles, a passion for supporting team members in collaboration with the CAO, and an eye for detail.
Accounting & Finance Support
- Safeguarding deposit items and making timely bank deposits
- Accurately recording and coding cash deposits in the accounting system
- Posting properly approved invoices and credit card transactions in the accounting system and preparing checks for payment on a weekly basis
- Collecting all timesheets and other payroll or benefit related documentation for each bi-weekly payroll
- Reviewing the accuracy and completeness of payroll documentation prior to processing payroll
- Coordinating with the Chief Administrative Officer (CAO) regarding new hires or terminating employees
- Preparing monthly invoices for contracts/grants
- Reconciling staff credit card transactions on a weekly basis
- Maintaining electronic and physical financial files
- Ordering credit cards for new team members
- Completing other special assignments as needed such as audit support, budget support, specific financial statements for funders, etc.
- Reviewing and correcting data entry, as needed, to ensure 95% accuracy
- Performing other functions as assigned
- Opening mail and distributing daily; endorsing any checks for deposit
- Serving as the primary point of contact for all facility vendors and partners who use our facility
- Ensuring the facility and all basic supplies are maintained at a professional level at all times
- Providing general support for CAO in ensuring smooth business operations
- Maintaining all human resource paperwork in an orderly manner
- Serving as HR software coordinator for current and new team members
- Assisting with management of all basic technology
- Assisting with data entry, completing onboarding / offboarding checklists for new team members, etc.
- Assisting with documentation flow with HR (posting open positions, communication to candidates, etc.)
- Supporting benefits enrollment process and managing team member education for insurance and benefits in partnership with the CAO
- Supporting team member engagement and recognition activities
- Coordinating logistics for team meetings
- High School diploma or equivalent is required; Accounting or Finance degree is preferred
- Attention to detail and deadlines
- Competency in accounting software, Abila MIP Fund Accounting a plus
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks and hit deadlines
- Able to work independently and proactively without daily instruction, but must also be an engaged and participatory member of the larger team
- Organized and able to keep accurate and detailed documentation
- Intermediate computer skills essential, including a working knowledge of Salesforce (or similar CRM), Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Microsoft Teams, Zoom
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills are required
- Creative and able to problem solve, set and accomplish goals, and meet deadlines
- Minimum of 3 years in a similar role preferred. Proven data entry skills
- ability to manage sensitive information in a professional and confidential manner as outlined in PENCIL’s Confidentiality Policy
PENCIL is proud to offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental and vision plus employer-paid group life insurance, accidental death & dismemberment and long term disability; a 401K plan with a 3% employer match; cell phone stipend, 10 paid holidays as well as 2-3 weeks between Christmas and New Year’s; paid time off (PTO) as well as a suite of voluntary offerings.
How to Apply
All interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, and three professional references. Upon receipt, candidates will be asked to perform an attention to detail assessment.
- Date Posted: November 9, 2022
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Accounting / Financial Management
- Service Area: Education
- Salary Range: $60,000-$65,000
- Working Hours: This position works 40 hours each week, typically Monday – Friday 8 a.m. – 5 p.m., with occasional evening and weekend hours for special events.